1. Moira

Moira New Member

Not going to lie...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Moira, Oct 27, 2008.

I'm pretty nervous about posting my writing on this site. It's nothing against any of the members here, or the site itself. I'm just really worried that someone might come across a page and think, "That's a good idea!" then take off with it. If I'm completely wrong in worrying about this, please let me know, because all I want, more then anything, is a safe place to get proper criticism on my work.

Are there any copyright laws for this forum?

I love everything about this forum. Which is why I want to be a part of this community. I think its just my own annoying fear keeping me from diving fully into the site, but I can't help it.

~*~Moira~*~

2. Jade

Jade Active Member

Hey,

Yeah, that has worried me in the past, but to be honest, if your thinking about getting your work published it is a bad idea to put huge exerpts (e.g chapters) up anyway as publishers don't like it. I suggest that if you really are worried, then you just put small paragraphs - little bits that really aren't enough to get a overall idea of your story but enough for people to be able to help you with the technecalities. Or you could wait until you have made a few trusted friends who you could ask for more detailed help?

I'm not overly familiar with copyright laws (doh) so I'll let someone else clarify. I've read that the problem isn't too common, but yeah - we all want to protect our work.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I hope another member can provide more details on the copyright issue.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Moira, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Check out the Rules link below. However, you own the copyright on your writing the moment you complete a draft, whether you register it or not. If you plan to submit your work to a publisher, you should not post more than a short excerpt on ANY public web site,

But posting your own work should not be the very first thing you do here. It is really worthwhile to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Moira

Moira New Member

Thank you very much for this information. I've been trying to do some reveiws, I never have before so its quite a nerve wracking exsperience trying to give contructive critisism without stepping on already sensitive toes.

Again, thank you.

~*~Moira~*~

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Reviewing is a bit intimidating at first, but it can be very enjoyable and rewarding when you get into it. It looks like you're off to a good start!

6. Scarlett_156

Scarlett_156 Active Member

Hm, well it takes all kinds to make a world, I guess. I don't really consider my day complete unless I have totally shattered at least one person's dreams of fame, riches, and glory. (I'M KIDDING!! KIDDING!!)

Welcome. :)

7. Moira

Moira New Member

Lol! Scarlett. I've seen you around here. Honestly I like what you have to say, and your very up front behavior. I can't wait to hear what you have to say about my work. :eek:D

~*~Moira~*~