1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

How Do Your Characters Get About?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Bobby Burrows, Mar 6, 2019.

Are they pedestrians?
    Are they learner drivers?
    Are they drivers?
    Are they truck drivers?
    Do they ride horses?
    Have cars been invented yet?
    Do they take public transport?
    Do they pay?
    Do they take a taxi?
    Do they take a mini cab?
    Do they use Uber?
    Do they buy tickets for travel?
    Do they have air miles?
    Are they pilots?
    Are they captains?
    Do they ride in limousines?
    Do they ride around on spaceships?
    Do they ride around on mermaids?
    Can they fly?
    Do they fly on the backs of dragons?

These aren't questions, more a random gathering of gibberish I have on the subject, how do your characters get around?
    How do they travel?

I'm thinking most of mine are pedestrians (for sure one is because she's 'before cars were invented'), another one, she could be a learner driver (I guess since I said it in my brain fart above, I could see why that was there on my mind since one character I have could be one).
    My character might even take public transport too, another character's a fixed appliance...

My character who lived before the time of the combustion engine.
    She... Was persecuted and on the lamb... So...............
    How would she travel? I'm thinking, cautiously and frightened but smartly because she's got an edge on her society; she was raised by a woman from the future but she didn't know she was from the future, she thinks her mother was a good witch who got burnt at the stake and she herself now 17/18 is running from the pitch forks for her own life -- Her mother survived and is living in the future stuck in the future able to assist her daughter (non biological) and save her until she reunites with her in a different ending part two. Don't get me started on how this mother travels, could be like you or I, like apps and walking and driving (or since she's in the future) flying..?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    Just a cookiemunster likes this.
  2. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

Rides with family and friends mostly, then walks the rest of the time.

3. Bobby Burrows

Do any of your characters use driverless vehicles?

I saw The X- Files the other day and Scully got trapped in this driverless car at one point, and I swear, the only dialogue for the longest time these two (Mulder and Scully, the heroes in that) had was with automation. - It was well written.

... The X-Files, drive a lot of rentals don't they? So much so that, Fox Mulder and Dana Scully pulling up in a rental - that's got to be a part of the show, right?, Like, now that I think about it;
    I'm surprised they haven't tried to sell Enterprise or Hertz to me yet.

4. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

In book 1:
    • Walk,
    • ride horses,
    • rappelling
    • antigrav cars that are capable of self-driving but they often choose to drive anyway,
    • massive earth-moving machinery the size of a house or larger (on the job),
    • jetpacks.

Eventually,
    • antigrav drill platforms the size of small towns,
    • powered wingsuits
    • mechas,
    • even bigger earthmoving machinery,
    • very large submarines, and
    • (eventually) flying using their own wings.

Harmonices and Bobby Burrows like this.
  5. Partridge

Partridge Senior Member

My MC gets around by driving a clapped out old Mercedes coupe that's still alive by the skin of its teeth.

No high tech shizzle here, he's a curmudgeon that's clinging onto the 20th Century...A bit like his creator.

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    My MC has an asthmatic blue 87 (I think 87, gotta check my notes) Pontiac Fiero named Guy.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  7. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Canine and friends travel on the Bent Halo (spaceship)

Nathan rides a motorcycle capable of shadow travel

Jim... falls off of buildings.

Cave Troll likes this.
  8. Just a cookiemunster

Just a cookiemunster Active Member

my main characters get around by mostly walking in both modern earth and the fantasy realm. Nothing better than using their own two feet. Though a few of them are learned drivers on earth, they rarely drive.
    Later on by carriage and a horse like animal in the fantasy realm.
    and I'm undecided what they might end up riding in the future but it will be some kind of creature/animal. No pollution :D

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Not horses, then. Having owned and ridden one for 15 years, I can attest that they leave pollution behind them. Even at a gallop.

Oddly, you don't see that much in most westerns.

10. Just a cookiemunster

REALLY? That's a shocking discovery I'm about to go research that! :supershock:

Shenanigator and XRD_author like this.
  11. Bobby Burrows

I think they mean, it's like walking a big dog, but one where you don't have to scoop afterwards.

12. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Well, they do have horse diapers, for the solid stuff. The liquid, not so much, and horses do indeed produce a lot of it.

13. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

The fourteen year old skateboards and he's pretty crappy at it. He also roller skates and bums rides. The mc drives a Maserati Quattroporte and occasionally an old Volkswagen van. They take airplanes from L.A. to Canada and back again and use golf carts on set.
    There is also piggybacks. Out and out carrying. Walking and drunken crawling.

Shenanigator and Cave Troll like this.
  14. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Castle of Heroes: First an old van, then flying as a crow, then riding a motorbike, then a sailing in a wooden fishing boat, then hiking on foot, then on a little dingy with an outboard motor. Lastly astral travel :p

FireKind: dragons fly, giants walk, demons burn tunnels underground, elven race ride wind elementals, sea serpents swim, angels move with the power of their minds.

15. X Equestris

X Equestris Contributor Contributor

I mostly write fantasy and Weird Westerns, so it's usually

1) riding horses
    2) walking on foot
    3) by boat/ship

16. Asher Janos Hawthorne

Asher Janos Hawthorne Member

Mostly walking. One of my characters has his own starship though, and they have no problem "commandeering" vehicles.

17. Just a cookiemunster

That totally went over my head :superlaugh:

18. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

My MCs are New Yorkers in 1980, so depending where they want to go, they take the subway, walk, or, when Alexei is feeling particularly flush (he's a musician), they grab a taxi. They take the train to Montauk when a friend loans them his beach house, and while there they ride bicycles.

peachalulu and Cave Troll like this.
  19. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

TC: the tuple walks. Dan get's his dad's truck when he gets his driver's license, but he really only uses it for their business. They just like walking together.

TNT: after the fragment strike, everything looks like a cheese grater. Anything with straight wheels has nowhere to roll. Rail is the only thing that can be salvaged, but we have none for transportation (cause we're stupid on that), so The Tyrant walks along with his people. He refuses rides, especially flight, and orders it used for rescue and supply. His protective suit would allow him to fly, but he still refuses. Wherever he stands is the seat of government. We all walk from now on, thank Gohd.

Cave Troll likes this.
  20. Elven Candy

Elven Candy Pay no attention to the foot in my mouth Contributor

My main character IS a dragon, so he always either flies or walks. My human characters usually walk or ride carriages or horses, which is a great irritation to my main character, who doesn't appreciate having to slow his pace for them.

peachalulu and Cave Troll like this.
  21. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Centruian Galaxy Class Battleship: Xahari oni vos Zhanolai (Space)
    Martian Colonial Troop Transport (Space/Atmosphere)
    Centurian Armor Drop Ship (Space/Atmosphere)
    Centurian Medium Armor War-frame (Walking (Space/Ground)
    Confederation Medium-Heavy Tank (Ground only)
    Centurian Scout Cruiser (Ground Only
    Uldivarion Emperiail Galaxy Class Cruiser: Unknown Designation (Space)
    Centurian Light Troop Drop/Evac Ship(s) (Space/Atmosphere)
    Uldivarion Emperial Empress' Personal Light Cruiser (Space/Atmosphere)
    Martian Colonial Jeep (Ground only)
    Mercenary Heavy Armor War-Frame (Ground)

Non-Vehicular Travel:
    Waliking, Running, Jumping, Sliding, Climbing (Medium and Heavy Class
    War-Frames can do basically the same while piloted, like the average peoples). :p

As for the future, IDK, cause I haven't made it that far yet. :)

Elven Candy likes this.
  22. Matt E

Matt E Ruler of the planet Omicron Persei 8 Contributor

I have a space western setting where there is ubiquitous antigravity, but the main character and the bottom ~70% of society can’t afford it. She walks around a lot. Catches a ride sometimes. Tried to build a gravbike once, but that didn’t work out very well. There was an explosion involved.

Yeah, it was quite the major problem during the era where large cities were built up, but before the automobile was invented. A city full of horses made a lot of waste, with even comparable CO2 emissions if I recall correctly.

23. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

Apocalyptic series: snow dogs in the beginning; hitchhiking with truckers; horseback; helicopter; tanks; plane.
    NA novel (1): long-distance train journeys to purposely avoid planes (protagonist is terrified of flying).
    NA novel (2): minivan (breaks down first chapter); stolen shopping trolley (no money and need to get blackout drunk mates home somehow); lifts; trains; various plane journeys.

It didn't occur to me before now that all three of my current projects involve a lot of travelling within Europe.

24. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Interesting premise:

[​IMG]

:supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

25. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

It depends on the story

Dusty and co being special forces generally insert by helicopter and then drive around in jeeps and technical or walk... in the later stories after hes left the forces they drive.. he favours the BMW M3 but as his mate Bash says "I am become Dusty, destroyer of cars" so he often drives whatever is to hand. e.g in Darkest Storm he starts off with a rented Mustang, wrecks it - then he has a Ford 150, when that gets totalled they have an old Rambler for a bit until its head gasket blows, then they nick an interceptor (which gets blown to bits by a helicopter gunship) and they round out the book with a boat and a stolen floatplane.

Jonny Wleckawski (PI) drives a classic Porsche, unless he's borrowed something different from "Brother Steven and the unholy collective" Steve Monk and his merry men miraculously giving hot cars the identity of wrecked ones.

Lucky Lawson mostly flies a Spitfire due to being a battle of Britain fighter pilot, although he owns a 1934 Morgan supersport

Aidan Darces mostly rides a horse called Windrunner since he's living in a swords and sorcery fantasy world where cars don't exist

Dave and Kathy in Alphadog (alien apocalypse) start off driving a BMW M3, change to a ford ranger and then later to a modified L200

and Ben "Blade" Gibbon and his men mostly drive up-armoured Landrovers since they are fighting a civil war in a post apocalyptic Britain so their transdport isd mostly what was left by the British Army