1. Speechless Poet

Speechless Poet New Member

Is Writing Like Riding A Bicycle?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Speechless Poet, Feb 27, 2018.

Hello, everybody!

I’m new here (obviously) and excited to start digging through all the resources on this forum! I’m 20 years old and used to do a lot of writing as a younger teenager. I actually self-published two books as well as had a few poems published. Unfortunately I fell ill with several chronic illnesses while I was working on my novel. It has been years since I was able to pick up a pen, but the doctors have finally gotten my illnesses under control and I am ready to finish that novel!

I’m obviously out of practice, however; so my hope is that I can use this forum to improve my writing skills with short stories, prompts, development, etc. If anybody has any tips on how to improve your writing after being out for awhile, I’d be happy to hear! Are there any good exercises you would recommend? Certain threads I should participate in? What are the best ways you have found to improve your writing?

Also, are there any rules or tips that I should know before starting this forum? I’ve already read all the guides and the rule book, but I know every forum has its own culture and such and just want to make sure I don’t step on any feet there.

Are there any other writers out there fighting through illnesses too? I’d love to connect with some fellow writers who have gone through similar hiatus due to health. I’ve been diagnosed with Ehlers-Danlos, Hashimoto’s, Gastroparesis, POTS, MCAS, and anxiety disorder.

In regards to my writing, I obviously write poetry and fiction. My favorite genre to write in is Fantasy, and my favorite part of the process is editing and development. I’ve been a part of a few writing forums before and love being involved in this sort of community.

Thanks for reading this and welcoming me into your forum! I hope to gain lots of knowledge from here and that, hopefully, you never quite forget how to write, like riding a bicycle.

2. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Welcome to the Forum. :superhello:

We are a chaotic bunch in some manner or another:
    https://www.writingforums.org/rules/
    That will be the rulze. :)

Good luck and have fun. :supersmile:

Have a dapper kitten. :p
    cats,adorable,cute,funny,kitten-817e309a9ce3217d203cc2758c9e6ad8_h_large.jpg

Shenanigator likes this.
  3. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

It's okay, everyone needs to learn how to ride a bike. Exactly like everyone needs to learn not to let your dad push you in front of a semi loaded with exploding cats to "toughen you up."

If you want to improve your skills, what I would suggest is pick ONE genre that you would like to focus on. You should start with one and find your stride with that genre, just like you shouldn't learn how to ride a gear shifting bike as well as a single gear bike at the same time. Master one, then move on to another one.

I'm going to sound like an rational person for a second, so please excuse me. Practice makes perfect, but too much practice makes a machine. I would suggest you write when you feel like it, and don't write when you lack the motivation. If you write when you lack motivation, you're work will lose it's soul. I know I'd lose my Mind if I worked non-stop.

Point is, take it slow, take it steady. You might think you have to rush to improve and rush to make your stories, but you don't have to. Learn one genre, then learn the next, but take breaks. Don't burn yourself out.

Hope this helps.

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. Rosacrvx

Rosacrvx Contributor Contributor

Is Writing Like Riding A Bicycle?

Better! Each time you do it you realise you've got better at it!

Welcome! :)

triagain22 likes this.
  5. triagain22

triagain22 New Member

Hey we're almost the same age! :D

We all battle anxiety, Hun. Sorry to hear about the others, as I can't relate. However my mom was just diagnosed with Diverticulitis, and I've seen the struggle. Passed down from my grandmother too, so at some point I'll be staring that one down.

As far as advice, I might not be qualified but I'll still share my side. I follow a couple "Weekly Writing Prompt" pages (not internal to this site), and when I feel stuck I sometimes read other responses just to get creativity flowing and think about how the prompts themselves could fit with my own characters. Occasionally it even turns into a good scene for my story!
    In addition, I wouldn't disagree with anything else that's been said. Though I may not be one to talk about "mastering one before moving on to the next," it is solid advice.

Don't force it. Don't frustrate yourself.
    Take breaks and take it easy on yourself.

6. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

Welcome. I haven't been here too long, but from what I've seen we've got a pretty good crowd here. Mostly friendly and some talented people. And at least one jackass who I kind of like if I'm being honest, but I'm not going to name any names. Hope you enjoy it, hope to read you soon.

Carly Berg likes this.
  7. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

If by riding a bicycle you mean that you need to wear a helmet and can get killed at any moment, then, yes... yes, it is.

8. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

Welcome!

Yes, there are many of us, including me. I live with reactivated mono (some people call it Epstein-Barr. My doc calls it reactivated mono so that people understand it's a real virus). I've had it for over ten years, and at its worst I was bedridden with it for about a year, after which I had to relearn how to read and write after it caused neurological damage, which made me dyslexic. It also caused vertigo, which I still battle but work around by moving like a sloth.

My illness isn't in my bio, but I joke about my dyslexia a lot around here...that and the food sensitivities my wacky immune system has caused. I'm extremely allergic to cheese, so over in the "What are you cooking tonight" and food threads there's a running joke about people trying to kill me via Parmegiano Reggiano. (Or was it Romano? :confused:)

The people here are helpful, witty, and fun, and aside from maybe one or two trolls (ETA: but not @Cave Troll --Cave Troll's cool and is ironically not a troll), I know I am among friends here. May you feel the same.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  9. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Yes, writing is like riding a bicycle. No matter how long you've been doing it, if you're stretching and testing your limits, you'll still fall off once in a while.

Shenanigator likes this.
  10. Andrew Alvarez

Andrew Alvarez Senior Member

Hi there, poet! Nice to meet you.

I made a similar thought about that, particularly about poetry. Decades ago I used to write, for my grandma, and I felt it as something natural, because I love her. Now, I shudder at the very prospect of what will go out after so much time and life experiences. I achieve to change that.

Writing is the supreme freedom, and my main illness is procrastination. Said that, I sincerely encourage you do do wonderful things with the talent you already have, and to teach me one or two things about not fearing poetry. Be very well, and hope to read you soon.