1. fearfulabandon

fearfulabandon New Member

Hiya! :)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by fearfulabandon, Nov 10, 2009.

Hi! :D I'm Colleen, but most of my friends call me Marlie or Oymonsy. X3 (There are long and complicated stories behind both that make us look rather insane. Haha. Just call me whatever you want to. :D). Sooo... my writing experience or whatever is probably something I should mention. I've always been a sort of story teller, but I've only been writing things down since about second grade (high school sophomore at the moment. :p). I did a lot of poetry through out late elementary school and junior high, and had a pretty good run with it, but discovered the wonderful world of FanFiction and jumped ship to short stories. Now I write pretty much anything, from one shots to essays, but I'm mostly a creative writer. I write a lot of romantic drama stuff, though the horror/thriller genre is a ton of fun to do, too. :D

Stuff other than writing? Hmmm.... I love horses. I've ridden pretty much every seat known to man, but my primary seat is hunt. Right now I'm training to become a show-jumper at a sales barn relatively near my house. I also ride saddle seat at a barn in NH, where my special boy, Abbott, is housed. :3 Abbott is a 29-year-old American Saddlebred gelding and he's pretty much my life. Love the little bugger to death. What else... uh, I'm a music nerd. I listen mostly to country (Toby Keith is the greatest thing... ever), but I will give pretty much any genre a shot. I also play the piano. Annddd, I'm a HUGE horror movie buff. I love the 70s slasher films and stuff like you find on FEARnet (The Hamiltons, Penny Dreadful). Favorite actor is by far Mr. Perfect, Jared Padalecki. :) Love him.

Other than that I like to research stuff (My solution to everything is "Google it."), dress up like Dracula, and I like to sleep. Haha. :) So, hiya, and I'd love to talk to you guys! :)

2. soujiroseta

soujiroseta Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the Forums Colleen:)

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Colleen, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Good research skills will serve you well, especially in writing.

Posting your own work should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

4. Taylor Nicole

Taylor Nicole New Member

hello, and welcome!! a fellow horse lover!! my baby, Shelby is 1/4 quarter horse, 1/4 appaloosa and 1/4 arabian....i prefer western myself, mainly barrel racing :]. whats your favorite type of riding?

5. fearfulabandon

fearfulabandon New Member

That's an awesome name! :) Hmmm... I really can't pick one favorite type of riding. I like different type of riding for different reason, but I love western and jumping the most. I actually got to barrel race my friend's aunt's mustang this summer and it was awesome. :D

6. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

welcome!