Tags:
  1. Damien Ark

Damien Ark New Member

Hello, how are you?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Damien Ark, May 19, 2008.

So I'm new here, as you can already tell. I don't know where to start, so I'll just write what comes to mind. My name isn't really Damien Ark, it's a pen name. I'm new, to this forum and to writing. I hear, though, that I'm not that bad of a writer. Of course, my suspicious side of me always nags in the back of my head that people are just saying it to be nice. I really want you all to be honest about my work, and to be constructive. If you hate it, tell me why. Don't think you'll say something to discourage me. In fact, if you don't like it that makes me want to try harder. I'm not going to be put down without a good fight. ;)

I'm a nice person, though I tend to get dark at times. Some people question my sanity, but for someone to be sane in this insane world is insane by itself. I write poetry every now and then, and I hear that it's pretty good. Of course, that suspicion is always there. I'm not sure if I will post, seeing as I'm a bit defensive about my work. But I will make an attempt to, I really want to do this. I'm not too sure if I'm good at writing longer, novel-like stories; but I know that I'm somewhat decent at short stories. Right now, I'm in the middle of this story idea. However, I only keep coming up with short scenes in it. :mad:

I think I have this obsession with using commas. It's like my own little secret love affair. I'm trying to shake it off, I really am. It's difficult to remove a habit, and I should know. So I hope that, while I am in this forum community, my writing improves and I can meet interesting people along the way. So, all that's left to say is: Hello, how are you? :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Damien, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

3. Damien Ark

Damien Ark New Member

I'd be delighted to share my story idea. I'm not sure if anyone will like it, but that's beside the point. The main objective of this story is to get me use to the process, really. I want to know that I can dedicate myself to finish something, so this is really just practice. But I s'pose I could post the over-all plot for it. I hope that's alright since it's a little off-topic from this thread.

I think that the whole "saving the world" plot is a bit over used. So then this sparked the idea: What if the world was ending, but no one knew it? What if there was no way to stop it, and no one would know that it was over until the very end?

Just recently before this, I had made this random scene of a Fallen Angel. I named him Zac, and the title was Fallen Angel Rising. Somehow, I felt there was a connection with him and this new plot. Yet, he didn't feel like he should be the main character.

Right now, my over all idea is this. There's this orphan, Damien (This is where I got my pen name), who is seeing these "Shadows". I'll give you the quote that he starts off with in the prologue:

I don't know what they are. I don't know who they are. But I do know where they are, and that's right behind me. They want, no crave, me. They crave something from me.

There's more to the prologue, but that gives you a vague idea of what's happening to him. Damien then runs away from the orphanage, only to stay back because of a friend that he left behind. He goes back and retrieves her, and then after they come across Zac. I'm not going to go into all the motives for what Zac does, but he was sent to kill Damien. In the end, he doesn't. Instead, he promises them that he is going to take them to this "Door" that will take him to his world. For, while their world is ending; his is beginning. So yeah, the adventure picks up from there as Damien finds a lost family member, battles to save Is's (the friend from the orphanage) life, all while trying to get to a dimension-hopping door.

For some reason, I feel like this doesn't even sum up the excitement I get from this story. I'm not too confident about other's liking it though, but I want the truth. I will continue writing this story, no matter what. I feel like it's become a part of me now, a part of who I am.

4. Hulk

Hulk Banned

Hey there :) Welcome to WF.org.

5. starrynight89

starrynight89 New Member

Welcome, Emily and Damien!

DamienArk-->Hmm, your idea sounds interesting. I'd love to review once you have it up :) Oh and don't worry if others will like it or not. First and foremost, write for yourself, not to please others. . . it's a lot more gratifying that way. :D

6. Oasis Writer

Oasis Writer Contributor Contributor

Welcome :)

7. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

Welcome to the forums :) I'm loving your idea for a story and the section taken from the beginning would do a good job of hooking me :p

Good luck with the rest.

8. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

Hello Damien!

Welcome to the forums...I hope it is a fun stay for you!

9. Rumpole40k

Rumpole40k Banned

Hi and welcome.

10. Jaclyn

Jaclyn Active Member

I think your introduction stands alone in defending how good of a writer you are, and how you are able to express your true feelings through writing.

I love commas too, it's horrible, haha. But anyway, welcome to the forums! :)