1. NanashiNoProfile

NanashiNoProfile New Member

Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NanashiNoProfile, Jun 28, 2014.

Hello,

I'm 31 and recently moved to Scotland, which has certainly inspired my writing! Work is long and busy, so I tend to be a bit of a dreamer outside it. I enjoy exploring the Scottish countryside, climbing mountains, gaming, lots of different genres of music, reading, and of course, writing.

I've been working on a story for the last six months now (the inspiration came on Christmas Day, but is not related!), and while I have spent the majority of this time world building and drafting out a skeleton of the my story, I have only recently started to write the chapters this tale in earnest. I thought I'd join so that I might be able to discuss specific writing choices with your fine selves.

I've written short stories before (really short stories), and have spent a lot of time writing a video games fanzine both for university and leisure. I even added three acts to The Tempest once. However, I've not done much in the way of writing for the past seven or eight years thanks to work commitments, so I expect to need a little oiling. I did begin something in the middle of last year, but quickly realised that I needed more planning to make that work.

With my current tale, I feel like I can disappear into the world I've invented, so either that speaks volumes about my state of mind, or I've perhaps created something good. Of course, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me whether or not that is the case :)

I've had a read of:
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/new-member-quick-start-guide.132102/
    So I'm aware I need to do a bit before I can post any work. But, I've not posted work before so I'm all cagey and shy when it comes to showing my work anyway, haha!

2. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

Most writers are like that, especially in the presence of other writers. I have almost finished my second book and only my friend @Annalise_Azevedo has read my first novel, and that's only because I have known her since we were 12. I am really funny about showing my work to people, I'm not very trusting when it comes to my novels, but I need to change that and when I get the chance next week I will be posting my first chapter onto the workshop along with a few scenes that I have been having trouble getting into suitable words.

Welcome to the forums
    Amanda

NanashiNoProfile likes this.
  3. highland.hermit

highland.hermit New Member

Hellooo. What part of Scotland are you from? I live in the nosebleed north of Scotland.

4. FrankABlissett

FrankABlissett Active Member

Oh - don't worry about whether or not you post! If that will help you (or if you just feel like it), then feel free. If you simply want to read the threads to get insight on writing, or have questions about the process of writing, or just want to socialize with writers - whatever you need from these boards is fine.

I do hope that we can be of some help.

-Frank

5. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

I barely have anyone to read my original work. Amanda has been the only one do far to read this version. We used to have a friend that read our stuff but Amanda and myself had a bit of a falling out with her. (For different reasons) then there was my cousin, but I don't think she's reading anytime soon.
    I mostly practise through fanfiction so if I went back on them, I could tell I improved :D they're a great way to practise keeping in character.

Anyway welcome to the forum :D

6. NanashiNoProfile

Hi!

I am living in Dunfermline and working in Edinburgh. Although I've been in Scotland since 2012, the move wasn't permanent until November last year. So far I've managed to explore the Cairngorms, Three Sisters, Ben Nevis, Glencoe, good chunk of Fife, and Skye (and places in between)!

7. NanashiNoProfile

I'm sure that there is plenty that I can learn from on the boards, so I'll probably just be reading to begin with anyway!

At some point though, I think I'll need to move beyond keeping my written work to myself. In the meantime, this looks like a great place to discuss writing techniques and ways of laying out work - I imagine you'll be on great help :)