1. Padawan

Padawan Member

Greetings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Padawan, Dec 28, 2019.

Heya people, Germany is where I hail from so English is not my first language. Looking forward to getting rid off some of my flaws!

2. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

*Jumps around waving* I can help! I can! I got one already!

of, not off. See? I'm 100% useful already! Of is relating to something. Off is physical, when, say, you bounce a football off a wall.

Was that the fastest assist, ever? *Flexes his spelling muscles.*

In all seriousness, welcome to the forums, Padawan.

...Just saying that sentence makes me feel like I should have long hair, a beard, and look like Liam Neeson.

(I also admire anyone who tries to write fiction or non-fiction in a second language.)

Some Guy likes this.
  3. Padawan

Padawan Member

Gee, put my foot in it with the first sentence. Talk about being an overachiever :D.

Thanks for the assist! Makes sense actually. I’ll try to remember it. Where were you before the publishing powers that be rejected my first attempt at publishing? I could have used a fast assist then :D.

(Feel free to point out any other errors I might yet make)

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Welcome! Feel free to join in my delusions of adequacy. :D

Padawan likes this.
  5. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Willkommen! (and that exhausts a significant proportion of my German vocabulary).

Padawan likes this.
  6. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

Welcome! I attempted to learn German through DuoLingo a while ago because I fell in love with the show Babylon Berlin and it sounded beautiful in German. I don't really like dubbed stuff anyway.

I hope you like it here! It's a pretty swell place.

Padawan likes this.
  7. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Padawan

I’m one of the forum moderators and I want to welcome you to the forum.

Unfortunately, it’s that ‘time of the year’ and I’m falling badly behind on my forum duties, including writing personal welcomes to all the new members, which is what I normally like to do. So please forgive me if this ‘welcome’ is general, not personal. Consider it a Christmas form letter from a Forum mod!

Just to keep you on track or get you on track if you’re just starting out here …please take the time to read these two links. They help to get you oriented, and also give you a notion of how we operate here.

New Member Quick Start

Forum Rules

If you want a quick way to explore the forum offerings, here is a great link below, and I use it often myself. It’s not a series of Frequently Asked Questions, but is, rather, a site map with links.

https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you have any problems getting settled, don’t hesitate to ‘start a conversation’ with me, and I’ll do my best to help. (Just click on my owl avatar and follow the signs.)

Anyway, take your time, settle in, participate in any threads that draw your interest. Giving critiques in the Workshop section is much appreciated by our members, and is also a requirement if you want to post your own work for feedback. So might as well get a head start there.

Our contests are also open to new members, both for entry and for voting. So you might want to check these out as well.

Anyway, hope you enjoy yourself, and I’ll see you around the threads. Probably AFTER the holidays are over!

Cheers, Jan

8. Padawan

Padawan Member

Ah, I feel all warm and cuddly inside from all the mushiness. Thanks for the welcome, guys.

If you want to practice your German, I’m all for it :D, otherwise we can just stick to English!

I actually did have a question. Sometimes I play around a little, so so-called Denglish (Deutsch und Englisch) Poems, or sometimes just English or sometimes just German. Can I only post the English ones? (If I get to the point where I can post something)

9. Arsel

Arsel Active Member

Hi Padawan! A fellow german speaker from Austria here, also writing my project in English :)
    I think you're supposed to post only english, but if you want to show some of your german masterpieces, I will be there to enjoy them. As a 19-year old, denglisch is practically my native language at this point.

Steve Rivers likes this.
  10. Padawan

Padawan Member

Ah, a language landsman!
    Nice.
    I’ll remember to send you something if I have another mental outpouring of the poetic kind :)

Arsel likes this.
  11. Padawan

Padawan Member

I did write a Christmas poem...but unsure of the rules here, so I’d rather not post it. I guess you’ll have to wait two weeks :D