1. highland.hermit

highland.hermit New Member

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by highland.hermit, Jun 27, 2014.

Hello everyone. I'm new on here. I cannot yet call myself a writer. It has only been recently that I decided to take notice of that little voice that whispers "I know its been years since you have left school, but why don't you give it a try.....you never know"

So here I am, very out of practice with essay writing - I was never encouraged to try creative writing. Its been many years since my school days and I want to attempt to recapture that creative spark for inventing stories and play, that sadly gets driven out of most children as they get older.

2. Amanda_Geisler

Amanda_Geisler Senior Member

It happens to the best of us. My parents did everything they could to discourage me from my writing, I have now been writing for 6 years and I have almost finished my second novel, I am still unpublished as I want to finish my trilogy before I attempt to find an agent. Don't let anybody discourage you from writing, not even your family.

If you haven't already found it there is a new member guide located here https://www.writingforums.org/threads/new-member-quick-start-guide.132102/

Welcome to writingforums
    Amanda

3. highland.hermit

I wasn't discouraged at any time, I just wasn't lucky enough to actually know what I wanted to do when I was 11+ years old. I was one of those lost kids that just generally eluded the notice of the teachers, because I wasn't a trouble maker nor was I a good student showing that spark. So I never had any encouragement.
    I always loved to read and always had my head in a book, but it just never occurred to me to try writing.
    Years ago, my husband (before i met him) was writing a book, but this was before the internet became a home fixture and he had an ancient apple computer. He had saved a lot of writing onto the apple but then the machine died and for a long time he kept the machine in the hope of being able to recall the saved writing. It never happened and although I have sometimes been positive about his novel, its been so long now, he says its gone stale on him and he doesn't want to try to re-write it.
    Something I said last night made us both laugh when he slightly misheard what I said. We both chuckled that it would made a great title for a short story.
    I sat there laughing about it for a short time, then I went silent in deep thought and then jumped out of bed scaring the bejeezus out of him. I had my first idea for a story basis.
    I have since mentioned that I am serious about wanting to write and my husband is supportive of anything I choose to do, so he is backing me with this, too.
    Its only in the very early idea stage right now, and I'm just contemplating what ideas could work best for the story. I feel like I would want to write stuff aimed for children. Some of the best authors, in my belief, are authors of children's books.
    I just want to enjoy writing a children's story, as much as I enjoy reading them.

4. Annalise_Azevedo

Annalise_Azevedo Member

It's rough starting on your own, but as I got older I met people who wanted to write. By that time, I had some distance between the rest of my family and my mum, so they really didn't know about my writing. I really just kept to myself, writing as much as I could. Then in my final year of school, I had to do a speech about reflection on my learning and I knew I had to just admit that I was a writer. My English teacher told me at my graduation that he wishes me luck on my writing my future... then I went all giddy xD

Welcome to the forum by the way, I'm new myself :D

5. highland.hermit

I am currently fighting that fear of the blank page.

6. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Welcome to the forum! The blank page can be scary, but at least for me reading other novels works as inspiration. I get this itch to write, no matter what, as long as I get to write. I hope inspiration like that hits you too. It doesn't have to be perfect, just have fun.:)

7. highland.hermit

Well, I finally put cursor to screen and put some paragraphs down. I need to do a lot of expansion and re-wording, but so far, its starting to become an ok introduction to draw into the story.