Tags:
  1. Rainie

Rainie New Member

Does anyone know about Ships?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Rainie, May 27, 2010.

Hey hey everybody.

Figure I'll just throw it out there, I really need some help.

I'm writing a fantasy, which is going to involve rather alot of sailing around in thcentuary-esque, possibly a little before, ships.

I basically know -nothing- about that, other then 'Hoist the sails!' to cach the wind, ya' know?

I know I need to read up on what kinds of different vessels were used, the layout and different parts of a ship/boat, what jobs they'd be on board, how you would keep them sailing smoothly and handle yourself in a storm.

I might not use it all but I don't want to be writing, "and then they got on the ship and sailed away." xD

If anyone knows anything about this area, please help! Or if you know where I might find some information, again, please help.

Thank-youu!

2. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

Google I'd have thought...

3. Rainie

Rainie New Member

Sorry to seem rude, but on other forums and writing communities I've met many people willing to pool their knowledge together to create resources for writers - so everyone's knowledge is shared?

If someone has some knowledge in one area they can help someone else, etc.

Sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

I think what Humour Whiffet is trying to do, is to encourage you to max out the research avenues available to you first.

I'd consult wikipedia. It isn't the ultimate authority, but it's often more readable than technical sources. Other than that, probably it would help to take a look at other nautical fiction. Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is very good for that, and also very good stories.

Lastly, I'd suggest going and talking to someone who actually sails, and possibly having a go at learning yourself. Nothing helps understanding like having a go yourself.

5. Rainie

Rainie New Member

Thank you for the advice.

I'll check out that series... Hopefully while on a boat. =D

6. Humour Whiffet

Humour Whiffet Banned

I didn't mean to sound rude (sorry if it came across that way). Part of your question was about where to find information. :)

7. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I've spent a lot of time at sea and know boats very well, I'll be happy to answer any question you have to the best of my abilities; just PM me.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

As a writer, you wil find that researching skills will be critical to your success. Humour Whiffet is quite correct in advising you to make good use of google.

You'll also discover that the information you collect through your own good google research will be far more reliable than secondhand information from random strangers.

One more thing: If you want people to read your posts, I recommend avoiding eye-straining color combinations like sky blue on white.

9. Forkfoot

Forkfoot Caitlin's ex is a lying, abusive rapist. Contributor

Thcentuary-esque?

Everyone who wants to write should sail and learn everything there is to know about sailing. Anyone who wants to pursue any creative endeavor whatsoever, really. Go on out to Sea. The Sea's where poets belong; the Sea's where songs come from.

10. bigSQUISHY76

bigSQUISHY76 New Member

Ships

I am no expert and 98% of my knowledge is about modern naval ships; however I do have some interest in the much older sailing ships all the way through the steam and diesel era.
    Wiki is a good all around source, I will have to wait until I head home and then I might suggest some books of the topic that I have used for reference, I have built a few model ships and I do not mean the plastic snap together ones.

Most of the kits cost up around $400.00 to $500.00 and those don't always come with everything you need.

This might not be a bad idea if you have the cash and time. Building a model ship will defiantly help to educate you on their anatomy and even offer you a way to scale your environment depending on how close you follow or stray from the traditional designs.

V/R

BS76

11. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I agree about poets, but not this. Songs come from 'de ridem' - to quote John Agard.

12. Loup

Loup New Member

[Humour] : Yeah, and then you can write both the book you wanted in the first place and the autobiography with your misadventures, pleasures etc.

Without kidding, you will certainly find a lot of useful informations on Internet and in books. Yet, unless I'm wrong, I guess that you're willing to write about ancient ships and the sailing techniques have evolved a lot. Learn on a boat by yourself is, to my mind, a bit exaggerated for your project. Maybe not. Up to you.
    Good luck for you work !

13. bigSQUISHY76

bigSQUISHY76 New Member

Another thought

I do not know where you are located but there are many Ship museaums thought the world. Maybe if you can not afford to build a model or take a cruise you might possible just visit a museam.

I spent a bit of time just searching Wiki I have a pretty long list which I will not post directly in here but will Pm you with it. It is not anything that you could not find for yourself, however I may know tearms to search for that might have given me quicker results.

V/R

BS76