1. L.W Schmidt

L.W Schmidt New Member

Are love triangles too clichè?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by L.W Schmidt, Aug 2, 2016.

I've included a love triangle in my plot since the very beginning and had honestly never thought much of it, until I saw someone complaining on social media about how much they HATED love triangles.

The situation is, my main character falls in love with this girl because she's beautiful — he likes her and they end up becoming engaged, but he doesn't really love her (hey, life is short in war, right?). But this girl is quite a bit younger than him (he's about 21, she's 17) and very naïve and in love. However, my main character is very close to his love interest's older sister. They have a much deeper connection and aren't necessarily having an affair, but there is definitely a forbidden-love-type-thing going on.

Is this clichè? At this point, I've become so used to my own plot that I really can't tell anymore!

jannert likes this.
  2. kim&jessie

kim&jessie New Member

Nothing is cliche when done effectively, is it?
    It can be a bit of a challenge to breathe new life into something that's been done over and over, but it's not impossible. It's entirely dependent on the way you build the relationships and the dialogue.

Oscar Leigh, L.W Schmidt and Lifeline like this.
  3. L.W Schmidt

L.W Schmidt New Member

@kim&jessie Very true! I just hope I can pull it off haha

4. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

1) How old is he, 2) what are the two females' opinions about all of this?

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

cliches are cliches because they happen a lot in real life - something like 40% of long term relationships end because one or other partner sleeps with someone else, so I wouldnt worry about it if its well written.

a

Oscar Leigh and L.W Schmidt like this.
  6. L.W Schmidt

L.W Schmidt New Member

@Simpson17866 He's around 21 — I'm not entirely sure how old exactly because I still have a few things to sort out regarding timelines. But round about there.

And my MC's fiance has no idea about her sister's feelings, so as far as she's concerned nothing is awry. And her sister has no intention of saying anything, because she doesn't want to ruin their relationship or hurt anyone's feelings.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  7. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I'm tired of the chosen one with magical powers fantasies, but they still seem to be popular. While a love triangle can be cliché, it's all about the story telling.

I have one in my story, but it's a bit of a different take.

8. L.W Schmidt

L.W Schmidt New Member

@GingerCoffee Well I can promise that there are no chosen ones or magical powers, so that's something at least! And thank you, you're right. :)

GingerCoffee and Oscar Leigh like this.
  9. King_Horror

King_Horror Member

A love triangle would be alright, say if, I'm the guy; And the two girls have short, pink hair with pale skin, big tits, and ocean blue eyes. (Bonus if they're both yandere.)

...okay, as for your story, like the others have said, as long as it's WELL WRITTEN, then it will most-likely work.

Zorg and Oscar Leigh like this.
  10. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

I have the perfect suggestion! Make it a love quadrangle and there's a secret boyfriend for the guy!
    ANYWAY, the point is that yes, nothing is bad for being done. It's bad for being done repetitively. As long as your story it's own beast and does the formula in a way that doesn't feel recycled, then congrats, you've beaten cliche! :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:
    [​IMG]

11. deletinggg

deletinggg New Member

I don't think they are. I think it can get a bit messy and it depends on your writing style really. Having to know everyone's feelings and intentions can be hard to get out to the reader. If you can pull it off, I think love triangles are great.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  12. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I'd love to read a love triangle told from the perspective of one of the legs of the triangle rather than the fulcrum or axis or whatever. That is, from your example, I'd be intrigued to read one or both of the women's perspectives.

The guy's perspective? Meh. He just seems like an asshole, really. Not that interesting in fiction, since there are so many in real life.

13. Oscar Leigh

Oscar Leigh Contributor Contributor

Yes, it does always seem to be about the lucky person with two options, it's never about the guy/girl that gets fucked over.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  14. Sifunkle

Sifunkle Dis Member

I agree, and you've also posted what annoys me most about love triangles: they're not triangles, because there's invariably a side missing. A love triangle would be X loves Y who loves Z who loves X (which I suppose means that at least one of them can't be hetero).

We need to rename that standard thing. Love see-saw? Love tug-of-war? Actually... maybe not those :oops:

bonijean2 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  15. bonijean2

bonijean2 Ancient Artists And Storytellers Rock

A love triangle would be more interesting and unique if: 1) it were a real love triangle and 2) the people were all from different cultures or walks of life.

BayView likes this.
  16. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

its known as an affair and or being a cheating bastard/faithless whore - love triangle is one of those pretifying descriptions that no one ever really uses - on discovering that your girl freind has been doing the guy next door you don't think "oh we're in a love triangle" before you break three knuckles on his jaw and tell him hes welcome to her

17. bonijean2

And in reality ego would get in the way before a true love triangle could blissfully emerge.

18. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Well... there are successful polyamorous relationships, I think. But they're based on consent, communication, etc., not a guy being too much of a weenie to pick one woman.

bonijean2 and Oscar Leigh like this.
  19. bonijean2

Or an abused spouse too afraid to say anything -

20. bonijean2

deleted same post -

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
  21. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

Why does it have to be a triangle? Why not a situation with 4 people, where a person from each couple likes someone from the other couple instead? Or a situation with more people where the dynamics are more complex?

It doesn't always have to be "Person A likes B, but B likes C."

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  22. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Know what I hate about love triangles? They're not actually triangles. They're two lines that intersect at one point; you should make an actual triangle.

Guy likes both girls, this makes the girls fight at first, until they realize, "This guy isn't worth us hating each other"
    That's when they start up a very emotional, fulfilling, healthy, and loving relationship, and both just use the guy for sex.

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  23. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

That does not describe successful polyamorous relationship.

Oscar Leigh and BayView like this.
  24. ddavidv

ddavidv Senior Member

Nicholas Sparks has made millions on this 'cliche'. So no, I don't think it matters provided you tell a good story. :)

25. bonijean2

yes, I agree that would be an unsuccessful polyamorous relationship.