1. live2write

live2write Senior Member

Not interested in reading

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by live2write, Apr 8, 2012.

I have come across the problem since Childhood. It is not because I am not interested in reading, when I pick up a book I end up putting it down and not finishing it because it does not interest me. I have done this with countless books where I do not remember who the authors. I can only remember by the cover and/or reading it.

Only books I was successfully able to read were:
    "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" Phillip K Dick
    "Catcher in the Rye" J.D Salinger
    "God Bless you Mr. Rosewater" Kurt Vonnegut
    "The illustrated man" Ray Bradbury
    "The Perks of being a wallflower" Stephen Chbosky
    Every one of Jeorge Luis Borges writings
    my favorite "Invension of Morel" Adolfo Bioy Casares
    "1984" George Orwel
    "The time machine" H.G Wells

I know it was crazy when I tried to explain to my elementary, middle school and high school professors that 98% of the books we had to read did not interest me. I was even put into a remedial class because they believed it was because I could not read.

I just think it is because I am not interested in reading but when I want to read I have nothing available to me. Any suggestions?

The things I am interested in are science fiction, conspiracy books involving societies under a control over a hierarchy, fantasy novels that are more modern (please no Harry Potter or twilight). I also like books based upon personal experiences.

2. superpsycho

superpsycho New Member

Based on what little I know of you I would suggest the Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey or Jade Darcy and the Affair of Honor by Stephen Goldin.

You can get previews from Amazon.

3. Just Jon

Just Jon New Member

I've had similar issues, so the books I have read are not too extensive. The only one on your list I have read is The Time Machine.

My favorite series of all time was Dune. The ones by Frank Herbert kept my interest despite having almost as many characters as Lord of the Rings. The continued series by his son really didn't take. The characters were flat and it seemed like her was writing them based on the movie of the first book.

4. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have two major questions for you:

1) WHY are you not interested in reading?

2) Given that you aren't interested in reading, why do you want to write?

I think if you can answer these questions honestly, you'll be well on your way to solving your problem.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I just don't understand people who say they enjoy writing, but not reading. The two are intrinsically linked, like playing guitar and listening to music. You just can't do the first without the second.

outsider likes this.
  6. RowenaFW

RowenaFW New Member

Hmmm, perhaps this explains why I don't really like music?

I would suggest pursuing the authors you have already read things by. HG Wells has written plenty of other stuff, for example. If you like one thing by him, another is a good bet.

7. VM80

VM80 Contributor Contributor

^ Yeah, that's good advice.

I personally find H.G. Wells a bit hit and miss, but I do recommend War of the worlds and especially The island of Dr Moreau.

Societies under control? Maybe check out Brave New World by Aldous Huxley or Player Piano by Vonnegut. The Caves of steel by Asimov is another good one.

8. Lemex

I don't know what you mean by this - you don't like music because you don't want to be a good guitar player?

I didn't say the only reason you listen to music is to play music, that's just stupid. But to be a good musician you have to be a music fan, know about music, and be good at listening to music. Writing and reading have pretty much the same relationship. That's just common sense.

You suggest a very good idea though.

9. RowenaFW

RowenaFW New Member

You suggest an interrelation between the two - needing, I suppose, to study before trying. I like to learn through trying. I struggle to take something in by just reading/seeing/hearing it, and learn very little. I didn't elaborate because I wasn't trying to make a full point - only amused by the analogy you used.

10. Lemex

Ok. Here is a task for you: build me an airplane without studying how they work, or how the engines are made and how they work, and where to put everything that insures a safe trip.

11. Cyrus

Cyrus New Member

I don't quite agree.

For me it's about stories and parting experiences that I can grow from. That can come from a song, a film, a game, someone elses mouth, or of course a book. I want to take what I learn and share it with others in my own way, I happen to express myself better through the written word so it's a perfect choice for me.

For most though I completely understand that there is a direct correlation between reading and deciding to write AND reading makes you a better TECHNICAL writer for sure.

I just dont think the desire to write has to come from books. I love books, but that's not where it started for me.

Reading was a real issue for me for years, I couldn't hold interest for long enough to get through a book and nothing was that interesting. Now I just chew through them, I think it came from change of perspective.

12. Lemex

That's really the distinction between a good writer and a good story teller though. Good writing can make a good story exceptional, and yes, a good story can save bad writing sometimes ... but what if you do not want to tell a story? There are other forms of writing than just fiction.

13. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One learns good story structure by following stories through any of several media. But one learns to write stories well by reading extensively. I don't believe you can learn how to write without reading extensively. You need to see what works, what does not work, and why. Not just hear about it, see it in print.

1 person likes this.
  14. Lemex

I fully agree.

15. Cyrus

Cyrus New Member

I agree with you too Cogito, Reading does make you a better writer. It helps to expand your literaray arsenal allowing to you express yourself more acutely.

Reading books helps you technically but you don't have to read them to want to write. Which is why I DO understand people who say they enjoy writing but not reading.

16. live2write

live2write Senior Member

To answer your questions.

1. Most of the stories I have read never interested me. I would read the first page or first chapter and I would get bored of it. Sometimes I would fall asleep. Trying to explain this as a child I can only say, "The stories are boring and I feel like falling asleep. I can read them but I cannot be interested enough to remember what is going on or even care about what is going on." Now I would say the same thing. There are stories that are either too monotonous for me but for others are interesting and intriguing. What is funny is when I started college, I was placed in a class for students who had similar experiences with reading. My professor introduced us to a whole different genre of books and stories where I could not stop putting the book down. First author my professor introduced me to was Jorge Luis Borges and later the book "Invention of Morel" by Adolfo Bioy Casares. I do not know what else to say. I am interested in a different genre of books or just different ideas in general. It is difficult to explain because according to the list above the books are in different genres.

2. Just because I am not interested in reading does not mean I am not interested in writing. I believe it is two different things. Reading is more for indulging an idea and/or story line and following the writer's voice in the telling of the story. Where writing I am creating my own story and my own ideas. I have been writing since my sophomore year of high school. You probably notice my writing is a little off and needs a ton of work. I had a comprehension problem as a child and one day I just started writing and I could not stop. My high school remedial teacher noticed what I was doing, thought I was not doing work and took my journal and read it. He noticed that I was improving in my writing as I was writing and rewriting and the end of the year I ended up moving out of remedial and into the higher level classes. I just cannot stop writing my stories and ideas and I continue to do this. It is also a way for me to collect ideas and learn how to say enough rather than too much.

I do not believe that is true. Yes it does help when you play guitar and you listen to music as inspiration. However when I was in band playing flute. I never really listened to music around my instrument. I learned from reading music, learning about each note, rhythm, levels, pitch, dynamic and staying together with the rest of the orchestra.
    Of course it does help for some people to listen to music, but there are people who learn differently.

17. Cyrus

Cyrus New Member

I like this.

18. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Well, I'm not interested in reading everything. I admit that I have not read all of the classics, and most likely never will. There are times I go out for coffee with my wife, and I'm overjoyed to find that the new magazines came in.

I'm surrounded by a Barnes & Noble, but I'm reading an article on Barnett clutches.

But you have to be fair here. I can write about stuff you cannot. There's an entire world out there with my section of people, their social mores, their beliefs, their slang and their goals, and you probably don't even know it exists.

My brother's a college dean, and he travels to the middle-east to help set up schools. I don't even really know what a 'dissertation' is, in fact, as I typed 'dissertation' I had to use Spell Check.

Different strokes.

19. live2write

live2write Senior Member

And I do believe you that there is more than just reading a story. It is about the language and structure and a new perspective that takes you away from the norm.

20. Lemex

Reading music to advance yourself is fine, I can understand that, but would would need to be familiar with music in order to read it, right?

21. live2write

live2write Senior Member

I have a hearing impairment....I had to learn without listening to music and to focus on keeping my rhythm and keeping a steady beat.

Don't get me wrong but I understand you have a point.

22. The Tourist

The Tourist Banned

Technically, you are immersed in my culture. My guess is that you are not changed one bit.

The world is either truly complicated or we make it that way. We all have filters, and there's only so much time in a day. I have not read the stuff you probably have, I have no desire to go to Europe, buy a suit or get a manicure. Yet, I know these things exist.

23. Lemex

Must admit, if that is true that's pretty impressive.

I understand that you liked some books. So can you really say you are not interested in reading, or are you just selective about what you like reading? I say this because I have honestly met people who say they like writing, but have never read a book in full in their entire lives, and this I really do not understand.

1) What do you mean: 'my culture'? What culture?
    2) What do you mean: 'My guess is that you are not changed one bit'?
    3) What?

This post seemed to come out of nowhere.

24. live2write

live2write Senior Member

This is why I am asking for suggestions. I want to read and I want to new material.

25. Lemex

The thing I suggest then is trying other works by the authors you mentioned.

Try H.P. Lovecraft, Ian Irvine, Haruki Murakami, Robert E. Howard, Poe. I can't promise you anything but they are worth taking a luck. Without more information I can't honestly say very much. Four of the authors I named also write short stories, and I'm kind of getting the impression you'll enjoy short stories a lot.