1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Why do I love procrastination?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by deadrats, Jan 20, 2018.

Why do I love procrastination? I have the best intentions that I fully plan to take care of later. Maybe it's that I'm a little stuck or I need to let things simmer, or it's just that those are the best excuses I've got right now to keep justifying my plan to write tomorrow.

2. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

Because it's a lot easier than actually doing shit? Pretty certain that's why I like it so much.

3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I use procrastination to my advantage. If I can't get started writing, I do the dishes. If I'm putting off giving the dogs their bath, I get laundry done. And if I don't want to do the dishes or laundry, hey, I'm writing, can't get to that kitchen right now because I feel like writing. :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    I love procrastination, then it makes me hate myself.

Cave Troll likes this.
  5. O.M. Hillside

O.M. Hillside Senior Member

It probably is mostly your fault. In the end, every procrastinator is the master of their own destruction. But, on the other hand, there is a real culture of mediocrity that develops in public schools. At last in my experience, everybody seems to celebrate being lazy and doing shoddy work at the last second. Admittedly, I have had and sometimes deal with that problem. At the end of the day, it well and truly is about overcoming resistance. Your brain wants to take the path of least resistance. You know that working will make your life better -- earn money, live the dream, contribute to culture with your work -- but your brain, at its heart, thinks that "the dream" means maximum food consumption balanced with maximum possible relaxation. If it can maximize those two things without putting forth a lot of effort, it will tend to want that. You have to convince yourself that you want the outcome of the work you're avoiding, more than you want the benefits of relaxation that comes with not doing the work. And make no mistake, short-term relaxation can often be a benefit sometimes, almost as much as it can be a vice. It may also be useful to use negative motivation from time to time. This requires some seriousness, but at some point you do need to take life seriously. So for example, you can also remind yourself that you really don't want the outcome of a life of avoiding work (mediocrity at best, poverty at worst), more than you do want the benefits of relaxation that comes with not working.

Just some mindsets that have helped me.

Best of luck.

6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I would not call it love, more like limbo.
    Between riding out a wave of depression, on top of the only available
    woman in group more than likely thinking I am the most loathsome
    thing to walk the Earth. Compounded with the fact that I have taken
    into account from crits that my first 40 or so pages have to be totally
    scrapped and rewritten.

So yeah I am in Writers Limbo, and it sucks.

7. irite

irite Member

I was going to reply ages ago... But, well, you know how it is.