1. jej_jones

jej_jones Member

Trauma impacting MC

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by jej_jones, Dec 5, 2022.

Hello all!

I want to pose a little scenario about my protag and get you input on how they may respond. I want my story to be as character driven as possible, so this is important.

I'm about 1/4 the way through first drafting. My novel is about a serial killer in a small fictional mountain town in Vermont.

My MC is a female 24 year old doctoral student at a small nearby university. The killer's modus operandi is chaining women up to trees in forests and allowing the elements to kill them. This is to appease his own past (I won't get into it here).

Anyway, it's found throughout the course of this book that my MC witnessed the brutal death of her fiance while on a hiking trip. There may be an entire chapter describing this later in the book.

Years before when my MC was 7, she was nearly killed by a sociopathic neighborhood kid (well...he's like 19). She trusted him which led to him nearly strangling her to death. This is also revealed later in the book. Her father and friends kill the boy and bury his body in the forest. They only kill him after the MC faces him while he's tied to a chair...pretty messed up situation. Her father is suspected of murder, and goes on the run...thus making her wonder about him throughout the rest of her life (up to the point the book starts).

My MC gets thrown in the serial killer madness after her older sister is taken from the parking lot of the hospital where she works.

*Whew* All the to ask, given this awful and traumatic past, would she be more susceptible to being DEPENDANT on others? I was thinking this because it seems like she's made choices in the past on her own that has put her life and others' in jeopardy. She could have difficulties making even small decisions on her own by catastrophizing potential results.

Or would she be more AVOIDANT of others' because those she tries to get close with often leave her...or even die.

Possibly a mixture of the two? This could spice up internal conflicts.

Please let me know what you think!

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I was just thinking "It could be a mix of both," and then you said it!

Yes, a person can be very dependent on others and yet avoidant at the same time, or even blame all their problems on them and hate them (which isn't the way you're going with the story of course, just threw it in there). She could be struggling with these two sides of her personality, knowing she's not really equipped to make it on her own in the world and needs the help of people, and also aware that her issues don't let her trust people enough to have a real relationship or to ask for the help she needs. Maybe she often shuts herself away from people at the times when she needs them the most, and she knows it's horrible but she just can't do anything about it. It's just the particular way she's broken.

jej_jones likes this.
  3. jej_jones

jej_jones Member

Thank you for this! This post was a lot of validation with the way I was going with the story. It totally makes sense!

Xoic likes this.
  4. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

I would suggest researching PTSD. From your description the MC is a definite candidate for it. It covers a wide gambit of reactions and symptoms. The question will be where in the spectrum you want to place her, and what her symptoms will be.

jej_jones likes this.