1. lonelystar

lonelystar Active Member

High school in BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Research' started by lonelystar, Mar 5, 2018.

My questions are -
    1. Who deals with discipline issues? At what point would a principal get involved?
    2. If you are struggling academically what support is available?
    3. If you attend classes is it possible to leave with no qualifications? Can you then retake / retry as an adult?
    Would each school or district be different?

2. Quanta

Quanta Senior Member

I don't know a whole lot because I didn't study in BC. My daughters are in high-school, but they're not getting into trouble or failing classes :)

1.When teachers get fed up with unruly kids (too much swearing, roughhousing, won't put away their phone, ...), they send them to the "office".

2.There is a learning assistance class where students can get help with math, English, science, etc. An elective class gets taken away (art, woodwork, music, etc) to make room for it.
    There are also school counselors and they
    • Act as a liaison between the elementary, junior secondary and senior secondary schools
    • Help new students in their orientation to the school
    • Act as a liasion between students, their families and community agencies
    • Help students find solutions to personal and school-related problems
    • Help students decide on appropriate programs and courses
    • Give career information and guidance to students
    • Give post-secondary educational guidance to senior students
    • Arrange for special testing at the request of the student, teacher or parents
    • Arrange parent conferences
    3.Students need a total of 80 credits to graduate high-school. I'm not sure what happens if they fail some classes... Adults who didn't graduate from high-school can get an adult graduation diploma (Adult Dogwood). All schools/school districts teach the BC curriculum.