1. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

Quick, Effective Knock-Outs

Discussion in 'Research' started by Annûniel, May 2, 2011.

I know Hollywood loves to use swift, powerful hits to the head to simulate knockouts in their movies but if you know anything about head injuries, you'll know that chances are that a person wouldn't wake up without severe brain damage. So I'm looking for a more realistic method of knocking someone out for a while.

From my own research, I've been looking into sleeper holds. But if these websites are correct, they only keep the victim down for about 10 seconds once the pressure has been released and I needed something that would knock someone out and keep them that way for closer to 10 minutes. I've also considered drugs (chloroform and the like) which is better, but suggests premeditation, which may not be applicable to the scene I'm writing.

So I ask anyone here if they know of a method I could use to realistically knock someone out quickly and keep them down for at least 10 minutes? I'd prefer the victim be caught unawares by the assailant so UFC punches to the jaw are out. ;)

1 person likes this.
  2. WastelandSurvivor

WastelandSurvivor New Member

10 minutes is a rather unrealistic amount of time, I'm afraid.

Chokes will certainly put someone to sleep but that will only last a couple of seconds to a couple of minutes because they work by cutting off blood to the brain and once the blood flow is restored they will start to wake up.

A knockout also typically only lasts a few seconds to a few minutes but could get you closer to 10 if you get into severe concussion territory and most characters will not have tough enough hands to hit someone hard enough to do that. A kick, knee, elbow, or blunt weapon to the temple would do it but you would be as likely to kill somebody as knock them out for 10 minutes.

1 person likes this.
  3. Annûniel

Annûniel Contributor Contributor

That would explain why I can't find anything that works! Thanks for the info.

So it looks like drugs or magic (it's a fantasy story)...

4. TheSpiderJoe

TheSpiderJoe New Member

If you watch any UFC fights, you can easily see guys getting knocked out with a single punch/kick. Problem is, most of the time, the knock-outs don't last very long while others can stretch over the course of a few minutes. Also, finding that sweet spot to hit is on a person-to-person basis.

Try reading about pressure points, specifically in the neck. I once read and saw a demonstration of a dude slapping/chopping his opponent in that area and watched him drop like a bad habit.

5. chrisspartan416

chrisspartan416 New Member

The problem with that is that bad habits return easily. :)

6. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

Ether might work. A little bit will knock a person unconscious. Too much can kill though. Doctors used it to know out patients for surgery a century or two ago.

7. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

To be precise, choking someone means cutting off the oxygen to the brain through the blood. If you get it "just right", the person will pass out for several minutes. I don't think the other person will be out for ten minutes, though. The biggest problem is that you are cutting off the oxygen to the brain, so if you hold the choke a little bit too long, the other person risk severe brain damage or death. It's quite effective when it works, but it's very dangerous and easily be too effective. If you want the other person to wake up unharmed, don't choke him.

I suggest using chloroform or something like that instead. It's not as graphic as a punch to the head, but it's much safer and effective.

8. SteamWolf

SteamWolf New Member

a chemical would be the most effective and most consistent. Chloroform or rophynol etc. Blows to the head may not work, may cause permanent damage or death (mind you same with chemical options.) or may just cause concussion or make them angry. lol

9. Jesstro

Jesstro Member

Ya, I don't know how Hollywood is able to get away with such a myth of the hero knocking out the bad guys with one-hitters. Always makes me laugh when I see it, especially when they do it when hanging from a tree (Robin Hood).

Anyways, like some have said, punching someone in the sweet spot and knocking them out differs from person to person. Furthermore, someone that has already had a concussion will be more vulnerable to getting knocked out. Basically, it's brain damage. The more damage it sustains, the weaker it becomes against another event involving blunt force trauma. Essentially, when a person gets nailed with some blunt force, the generated force tosses the brain around within in the skull. As it bounces off the skull walls it sustains damage, which is usually what causes the concussion, now a choke-out can either bring about unconsciousness by depriving the brain of blood and/or oxygen. Also, if your character(s) is out, remember this. Realistically, if a person is unconscious for a lengthy period of time, the recovery is usually accompanied by mild, or in some cases (depending on the degree of brain trauma) severe amnesia (short term/long term). I hope this helps in your research.