1. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

Creating a 'Supervillain' for your stories...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Jupie, Feb 18, 2017.

Hi guys,

I recently wrote a novel called 'Karma Child' and I was so taken with the villain that I'd like to occasionally use him in other stories. I don't mean sequels. They might be completely different but the villain is the same, although he appears in other guises and forms. He is a trickster character and kind of ageless so it makes sense that he appears. It does mean my stories are linked and set in the same Universe but that doesn't matter too much.

Do you think this works or know any examples where this has been used? In my new story he is in it but there are only subtle references so previous readers may not initially realise who he is. He will have a different name but eventually I'll make it quite plain he's the same person. It won't matter if you haven't read the other book but it is a cool continuity thing for readers and I like the idea of having a 'supervillain', so long as he isn't in EVERY book I write.

I'm fascinated with him because he's pretty much like the devil in that it is hinted he is not wholly human. There's a bit of a Faustian bargain with this type of character as he's very good at getting people to go on the wrong path. He loves causing problems and a great character for creating conflict. Would love to know your thoughts.

IHaveNoName and Simpson17866 like this.
  2. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

Apologises if I posted it in the wrong thread!

3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The easy one is Stephen King's Randall Flagg. He's all over the place (The Stand, Dark Tower, Eyes of the Dragon). Always with the initials RF.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  4. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

Ha yes I was quite inspired by RF. I am very fond of him. I dislike how SK trailed off with him after The Gunslinger, but he remains a favourite.

I didn't want readers to think I've taken his idea but since this is so rarely done I thought 'hey, why can't I too?'.

5. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Basically, any character is 1 part person, 1 part plot device, and 1 part world-building set piece.

Do the other characters ever hear about the things that happened in the other stories, even if they don't know all the details?

Does the way that he manipulates people ever change in response to what other people have done to beat his manipulation before then?

6. Jupie

Jupie Senior Member

Good questions and something for me to think about. The story I am currently writing he appears again but as the setting is in olden times, it is way before the events of 'Karma Child' and so what we know about him so far hasn't happened yet. I can do it the reverse way round though and perhaps show his shortcomings and eventual defeat and this explains why he is the way he is in 'Karma Child'. Will have to have a think. He is a villain who tends to get away with it though with some consequence.

7. making tracks

making tracks Active Member

I think it's a great idea, it's the sort of nod to the fans of a certain author that I really like. You have touched on this above, but how much would the size of his role vary? It would be interesting to weave in his character development through different novels, but some more hinted at than others. Like @Simpson17866 said, things like other characters hearing about his deeds wold be good to get a sense of his impact, as well as make him appear even more ominous. You could really play with it, with only a passing mention of him in some novels and a main role in others. As a reader I would enjoy looking out for these hints.