1. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

Starting from intended effect in literary.

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by BrianIff, Nov 11, 2015.

The main goal of my writing is the sharing of the human condition, so even though I feel like I have lots to say about life, interpretations and reactions to it, etc., to start with settings, plots, etc., seems strange. I have respect for all those elements, no doubt -- they're crucial -- but I don't see anything emerging from them. I'm wondering if anyone else out there tends to "work backwards" and any tips they might have could be shared.

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

I am not sure how you do this without all the common literary devices, such as a setting and plot. If you want to explore interpretations and reactions to life, then there needs to be something that triggers those reactions... a plot.

Otherwise it is just a monologue, or a sketch show, in which a character prattles tediously on about their determinations on the meaning of life. It will be like listening to a teenager who has just discovered drugs, and believe they are being achingly profound, whilst everyone around them cringes.

3. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

No, no, the reason I admire writers of fiction is because I walk away with something soul-enriching, not like social science or philosophy. I'm not talking about a vehicle for philosophical ramblings. I question whether great writers knew what the average person would experience, reading, as it pertains to life. It seems like that's where I have to start from.