1. Jackdw1005

Jackdw1005 New Member

how do i make one idea that works with one thing work with a book.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Jackdw1005, Jan 3, 2013.

I day dream alot. Originally I was taking a course in video game development so the ideas I have would fit a video game more than a book. I'm not going into much details but it involves modern day earth being in a fantasy setting. The Earth is full of dangerous creatures (haven't decided how) and it falls to an unofficial organisation to track and eliminate any that get too close to civilized area.

You can now probably see the problem of having alot of action, something that fits visual representation rather than written. I want the book based around an average person who gets swept into everything (haven't decided male or female but the age will be about 22).

I'm not looking for any plot idea, instead i want help of how to transition something that was originally imagined to be full of action to something that can't (not so much).

Thanks in advance.

2. Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

In the general vicinity of the Atlantic Ocean
    Spend time developing your characters. The action sequences will mean more to the reader when they care about the people in danger.

Also, you can have a fast-paced, action-oriented story in prose, as long as the action is mean't to further the story's conflict and isn't mindless(for their own sake) gore and explosions.

3. Jackdw1005

Jackdw1005 New Member

i was only think of just adding in a few descriptive fight scenes, and only just mentioning minor ones. I've read alot of fantasy books with fighting. It seems that the longer written fights are usually important or open up new info about characters.

I am currently reading The King of Ithaca. i have only read one fight scene and it only focused on the main characters fighting and only mentioned what the other unknown people did only if the protagonist saw it happen. i notice when focused on a single person we hear, see, feel, smell and taste everything they do. with multiple antagonists we only get the essentials more.

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Different kinds of story work better in certain media. What works for cinema generally requires a great deal of modification before it works in a novel, and vice versa. The same is true of video games to either of the above.

Writing has to take into account the strengths and weaknesses of the target medium.

5. Jackdw1005

Jackdw1005 New Member

I could modify it. Are there any books based on Isolated Cities around earth (or another planet) that are isolated because of dangerous creatures that suddenly arrived. I know that Final Fantasy: Spirits within has someone like this. I love fantasy elements or stories like the Uncharted game series. i could never even think of writing a love story or anything tame like that. However i've always loved the idea of an average person being forced into a situation they may or may not enjoy.

6. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm sure there are plenty of books like that... do your homework and find them... see how others make such storylines work...

7. SilverWolf0101

SilverWolf0101 Active Member

Recently I read a book that puts me something in mind of these things. I wasn't fond of these books, but maybe they could be of some use to you and what you are looking for.
    The author, if I remember correctly, was Jack Campbell, and it was the Lost Fleet series? Followed by, Beyond the Frontier.
    Just some books for you to check into that might help you find some of what you are looking for.