1. Libby Harries

Libby Harries New Member

Would this be stupid and over the top?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Libby Harries, Nov 18, 2013.

I am writing a story about these triplet girls and I am trying to figure out some stuff.
    I was wonder if I should do something like, they have a necklace each and its split in 3 hearts. That they got when they where born for there mum and dad, when it is put together it makes a heart and could have some words on it like Parents names- Initials of there names- a quote- or something like that. Thoughts?
    And I was thinking I could give them a special birthday (Which I think is abit over top) like maybe their birthday is on the 1st of January, 29th February or 25th of December, something like that maybe? Tell me what you think? Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I don't see why any of that is stupid or over the top.
    A lot of people have similar necklaces or birthdays on odd days.
    Heck, I have a friend who was born on Halloween and another of Christmas.
    I even know a mother born on mother's day.

So. It's only weird if you want it to be.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

There's nothing that raises any red flags over the necklace, bit triplets with a B-day that falls on something like less than a random day... Of course it could happen, there is little that is impossible, but it seems a little contrived. Plus, the real question is why? What importance does the necklace have to the telling of your story? What purpose would there be to having their B-day fall on a special day? What would these things matter to your story?

Andrae Smith likes this.
  4. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I don't think I've ever read anything which gives the birthdate of the character(s) unless the MC is Satan and he was born on Saturday June 6th...

Does the necklace mean anything? Are the three separated at birth and adopted by people in New Zealand, Finland and Japan. Must they find each other when they are old enough to be inquisitive about their pendants?

If not I wouldn't even bother giving DOBs or special jewellery...

Andrae Smith likes this.
  5. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

I would have to agree with the others here. It doesn't raise any red flags in and of itself, but if there is no reason to add it in there, they are detail that seem a little forced. Unless their birthday comes in the story for a specific reason, then it probably isn't important because we're assuming they have one, even if it falls on a special day. I would probably give them either the pendant or a special bday unless there is meaning in both. It all depends on the significance.

6. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

Is this some kind of a fantasy story with a Luke & Leia kind of situation? Or does it take place in the present day real world? If the latter, I don't understand why any of it would happen. If the former, anything is possible.

7. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I don't think it'd be stupid or over-the-top, but I do think it should be relevant to your writing somehow, either to the plot or simply by developing the persona of the characters.

Tesoro and Andrae Smith like this.
  8. Andrae Smith

What? @Daniel commenting on a normal thread? I'd heard rumors but I never thought he actually did it. I'm in awe... not really, but this is the first time I've seen you comment on anything like this. Good work with his site, by the way. I love it!

Tesoro and minstrel like this.
  9. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hahahaha I know, I know, I know. :p Thanks for the shout out, it made me smile. I'm trying to get back into fiction writing and become more involved in the writing discussion here, it's just the time and site maintenance... you know how it is. ;)

Andrae Smith likes this.
  10. Andrae Smith

Well it certainly is good to see you active. I can scarcely imagine what it takes to keep a site like this running, but it can't leave a lot of time for something as intensive as writing fiction. It is my pleasure to make your acquaintance, though. Good luck getting back in the groove.

Daniel likes this.
  11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

It's only stupid or over the top if that's how you present it in your writing.

Is it stupid or over that top that an ordinary white gold wedding ring is the source of the wild magic that can alone defeat the greatest evil of a parallel fantasy world? Or is that just one key premise in the first trilogy set in a fantasy land created by Stephen R Donaldson?

12. Want2Write

Want2Write Member

I dont feel any of them stupid, in fact I think you can make it a really interesting plot with your writing.