1. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

a

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hedgerowpete, Dec 10, 2019.

As a novice doing a non fiction topic I am very knowledgable about I stuggle as i have a flood of ideas, notions and information.

This flood produces in four main writting styles, none of which when mixed produces a reabable text or any sense. I thought by allowing the flood out and draining every thing into a word document i could edit it and translate it from gibberish to English. I also though after a few hundred thousand words it would settle down in to a steady style, but it does not.

I have now a collection of deranged incomprehensible documents, not worthy of being called a book, more the rantings of an idiot.What I want to do is to restart them into one coherent style with a coherent content.

How do you calm down four writting styles and get a good writting style going flow going?

jannert likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Is there any one of these styles that appeals to you the most?

3. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

Not really, struggling to know what my style is anyway.My personality is light and jovial so is my way of conversation. I had planned a reasonably general light and easy to read style, but within that chapter added details of complexity.

So my story line is roughly for a chapter
    1/3 general information- from this a novice would learn the basic premise and be aware of the information needed to perform at a basic level

A second third which follows on then has more detail and and a more in depth description of whats going on, the mechcanics of whats happening and why its happening and what to do when things dont happen.

End third is just chapter notes.

What i end up with other than a mess is, a bad impressionist version of Tommy Cooper then a derange scientist also doing a bad Tommy Cooper and finally Tommy Cooper stuttering, For anyone states side please insert Rodney Dangerfield for Tommy, to get the idea.

When I edit out the humour no matter how small it then loses my personality and starts to read like rubbish again.

I just cant seem to find the right pitch for it.

4. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Wait, are you writing fiction or non-fiction?

hedgerowpete and jannert like this.
  5. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Yeah, my question as well. At first I thought it was fiction ...but now it's beginning to sound like nonfiction? Comedy?

hedgerowpete likes this.
  6. hedgerowpete

hedgerowpete Member

Its non fiction, 100% information only non fiction. With a few stories of mistakes i have made to show the effort and results. Its based around tents and camping within northern europe, but the ideas and methods would work all over the world.