1. Rayo

Rayo New Member

Literary Journalism

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Rayo, Mar 15, 2011.

Hi all! I am interested in breaking into the field of literary journalism/creative journalism, and I have a couple questions.

I know to-be verbs are supposed to be used sparingly (such as every 200-250 words) in creative writing, but does anyone know the rules regarding journalism? The more opinion pieces I read, I see plenty of helping verbs. Any advice in general regarding this field would be helpful as well. Thanks for your help.

2. Have you looked at various links Google may offer? Google is anyone's best friend. I suggest you look for proper format on there. Also, I suggest you read some of the most popular journalism for help as well. Sorry, but that is all I can think of.

3. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

People always say this, but he's never once bought me a drink.

By 'Literary Journalism' do you mean people like Hunter S. Thompson, or Christopher Hitchens?

4. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

I too am interested in journalism, but I'm not talking about the (sit in the office all day) type journalism, I want to write for a living - I think. Does anyone have any information of freelance journalism?

5. Raki

Raki New Member

Grab a copy of Shadow Boxing: Art and Craft in Creative Nonfiction by Kristen Iversen. It'll help you out in regards to this.

In regards to your question, the rules of journalism are different than the rules to literary journalism. I'm a little too tired right now state all the differences, but there are some good pieces of literary journalism you may read to note the difference: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson; The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester; On Aids by Susan Sontag; Coming into the Country by John McPhee.

6. Rayo

Rayo New Member

Thank you all for your advice.

@jwatson- yep, Google is pretty reliable. Though, I've found way more info on the basics of journalism, haven't found a good source for the basic rules of creative journalism.

@Lemex- Google once offered to buy me a drink. True story.

@Raki- I'll definitely check that out. Appreciate it.