1. CrzyDrumlineChich

CrzyDrumlineChich New Member

Novel I Want to write a book

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by CrzyDrumlineChich, Mar 11, 2011.

I want to write a book. I am very into writing lyrics and poetry and I just got done reading and studying The Scarlet Letter and it just inspires me. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on writing a book. Not really plots because I want the plot to be my own, but development of characters, impacts of imagery and symbols, etc. anything you can think of because this will be my first book.

2. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Well, my first suggestion is to find a topic you love, and, if you're writing fictitiously, then make a story out of it, say if you love, I don't know, basketball, or playing music, then make up something, as for character development, decide where your story will be set in. Then pick character names common for the region, try to use sensory detail to immerse the reader.

Depending on how you like to write, and what you're writing about, if you are writing say, a war book then you want to be realistic with weapon specs and such. If you're writing fantasy, then (again depending on your plot) you can pretty much make it up (I don't have much fantasy experience). Realism can be present or not, but it really depends on the genre you're writing.

Just have fun and be creative if this is your first book. I'm on my first too. It's nowhere near perfect! Oh and make sure that you write freely on your first draft, don't try to get it perfect on your first try, it will only cause you more hassle.

3. Velvet Mites

Velvet Mites New Member

Write, write and write some more :^).

4. Velvet Mites

Velvet Mites New Member

Write, write and write some more :^).

5. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

Second what he said.

6. CrzyDrumlineChich

(:)

Thank you! I kind of had this idea for a post-apocolyptic world which starts with a character named Danny who was genetically improvised to help save this post-apocolyptic society, but then he rebels against his creators and tryes to find his family, and once he does he meets a girl named Emily who he falls in love with, But ultimately he has to give her up for her and everyones well being. But idk, it probably sounds stupid.

7. hawky94

hawky94 Active Member

NOTHING sounds stupid in fiction my friend, this is your world, your stage, go get 'em. I presume this is fantasy, which as I've said I have no experience with, kind of a bad person to talk to about plot creation for fantasy novels. Head on over to the Plot Creation Board if you're struggling with it. But just write it out... keep writing and then keep writing. It will all come together in the end.

8. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

Writing a book is easy, but writing a good one is hard though. But you can write one if you commit yourself to it. One way I get my foot in the air of writing a book is using Randy's snowflake method, but I don't use all 10 steps to write it; it's a guide that help new writers know where to start.

Assuming that you know what your book is about, the first thing I would do is write what the book is about, and then write a paragraph (including the one sentence of what the book is about). The paragraph would tell what the conflict of the story is (assuming that you already know what the conflicts in your book is about). I usually come up with like four disasters. I write the four disasters in the paragraph.

About the character development, I would write a sentence or two about the character's story line (i.e. Jason Devon has lived a brutal life and seeks peace to get the respect he deserves). And then I would come up with a sentence about what the character wishes to accomplish (i.e. Jason Devon seeks to find peace in his life), and then another sentence about what keeps the character from reaching his goal (i.e. while he tries to seek peace, his parents refuse to give him advice and doesn't want to listen to him). And what the character learns from another character (he learns that his brother is dead, and that he has been helping him the entire time he was dead). And then what changed the character's personality (i.e. He reconsiders that he should have not bragged on people about what he looks like and his wealth, which probably explained why he was living a brutial life). Then add the character's description, such as his birthday, hobbies, age, etc. (Some of the description might not be needed in the story, but just a reference to get out some of these details in case you need them). Then I would do this same step in the other characters you create.

Then I would write a page description about each main character's story line from their point of view. It took me a while to do this, but it became fun and easier. Then I would write a half-page paper on what supporting character's story line is like. After writing a page and half-page description on each character, I refer back to the four disaster paragraph and add the rest of the story line from the character's one page and half-page paper. It gets frustrating doing it this way, but it doesn't get any harder from how I done it, and I don't expect anyone to write it this way, that's just my method of coming up with ideas on writing my book.

After I write the one page description of what each character's lifestyles are like, I would fix the plot fragments by reviewing each of the character's one-page story line. Then when I spot a plot fragment, I would rearrange the four- disaster paragraph in beginning of the page until each of the character's story line fits in with the four-disaster paragraph.

Then you should be able to know what your story is about once you get all the information about your characters. That's the easiest method of writing a book from my perspective, but it may not be easy to you, and people write their books differently.

9. CrzyDrumlineChich

Thanks!

Thank you Reggie! That method I think will get me off to a great start! I think I will try it soon!

10. KillianRussell

KillianRussell New Member

I can't wait to read it , I am partial to reading books by authors that have read a book.

11. CrzyDrumlineChich

Is there anyone that can help me out with symbolism? Because I really want each of my characters to kind of represent a part of life before the major disaster that started this apocolypse or whatever I come up with, and that is kind of why Danny wants to find them so much, like a metaphor that he wants to go back to that kind of society, but he can't

12. nuwriter*me

nuwriter*me New Member

Does Danny have a sister?

13. CrzyDrumlineChich

Uhm he could, I havn't really worked out the details yet, but a sister sounds good. why?:)

14. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Symbolism will happen naturally as you write - just write your story then see what happens.

15. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

read, read, and keep on reading... then write, write, and write some more...

you don't need tips... you only need to see how the best writers do it... read enough and you'll figure it out...