1. Keelan Goldhallow

Keelan Goldhallow New Member

What's another way to say this?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Keelan Goldhallow, Nov 11, 2016.

Before I actually ask the question, here's some background. My two main characters, Arein and Cedric, are having a verbal argument. Arein is a prince, and Cedric is a farmer. Cedric talked about how Arein's opinion hadn't been challenged in his nineteen years of life, and I want Arein to say something along the lines of "I may be spoiled, but at least I've had ten times the life you have, you peasant!" So what's another way to say that?

2. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

What's wrong with what you currently have?

3. CaitlinCarver

CaitlinCarver Member

"I may be rich from the spoils of war, and I may be spoiled by my riches. But I've lived ten times the life you've lived, peasant!"

(Remember, Arein is a prince! He's going to speak, act, and think royally unless he has a good reason not to.)

Keelan Goldhallow likes this.
  4. Ghost Reflection

Ghost Reflection Active Member

What do you wish to convey about the character by changing the dialogue? I'll give it a try based off the idea that princes are supposed to be well educated and some sort of ideal of refinement.

"A peasant's life cannot compare in magnitude to one of noble birth, regardless of earthly spoils."

Not sure if this what you are looking for, but it's another option.

SethLoki and GingerCoffee like this.
  5. Jay Lafountain

Jay Lafountain New Member

Remnant, Shadowclan, or 1776 New York City
    "Born a peasant locks your rise in the ranks. You cannot compare to my noble heritage, regardless of my family's actions toward me!"
    Or
    "You've forgotten yourself, peasant! Are you oblivious to my royalty? My family's actions does not play into this.!"

Sorry. I'm not very eloquent, but I thought it sounded decent in my mind!

6. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

"Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    I've lived a life ten times better than you"

Sorry couldn't resist.

SardonicWriter likes this.
  7. Shnette

Shnette Active Member

The fact that these two are having this discussion leads me to believe they are brothers of another mother. I would make the conversation playful, but you didn't mention whether they were being playful or seriously hate each other.

"I don't understand your bitter tone, Cedric. Not all royalty is spoiled. Well, maybe I am, but at least I've had ten times the life you have, you peasant bastard!"

8. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

"Maybe, but one month of my life holds more than you will experience in the whole of yours, peasant.

9. antlad

antlad Banned

I think if you wanted reality, the prince would cuff him to the ground if he said that to the prince.

What makes it so the prince would carry on a civilized (bordering on deep) discussion with a farmer? Where are they (setting- farm, bazaar, road)? Are any of the prince's cohorts about to make him take the statement as being harsh (in front of his friends, when he is really a big softie)? A farmer taking time out of producing food for the prince's family, and for their guests, that is.
    I think having that backstory/setup would give much more accurate responses.

10. zoupskim

zoupskim Contributor Contributor

"Opinion!? You dare to speak on my opinions? Only when you've felt the full gravity of choice and life will you dare question my judgment! Your 'lifespan'... is a flicker... compared to the mass of doubt and regret that I have borne since I first transcended from the realm men. To know that the fate of the world hangs upon the advisedness of my every deed? Can you even begin to conceive what actions you would take if placed in my position!?"

11. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"Shut your mouth peasant, you dare speak to me as though your opinions have worth"