1. w. bogart

w. bogart Contributor Contributor Blogerator

What next?

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by w. bogart, Nov 9, 2022.

I started my first writing project writing by the seat of my pants. Most of the scenes clearly formed in my head. Now at about 30k words in, I can't answer What next, for the story? Anyone have any tips on how to get past this?

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Do you now how the story is going to end?

If so, make an outline of everything you have so far. Then outline the ending. Then work backward from the ending, outlining to get to the point where you are now. I've done on a couple of stories when stuck and for me it helped.

J.T. Woody and petra4 like this.
  3. w. bogart

Thanks. Now I just have to figure out how the various conflict will be resolved. LOL. Maybe my meeting with my editor will help sort the issues out. Right now it feels like, Head meet stone wall with this project.

Steerpike likes this.
  4. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Good luck with it!

5. w. bogart

Thanks I'll take all the encouragement I can get.

6. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

I'd say shirt, assuming you've already done socks and underwear (unless of course you're more commando). :supergrin:

w. bogart likes this.
  7. Xoic

And now for a more serious answer. Have you got something in mind for a character arc, or any kind of ending vaguely suggested? I would personally work on those aspects I think, but it probably depends. I seem to approach every project differently.

8. w. bogart

A very vague ending yes. Since this is a post apocalypse piece, in the sense they survive. The MC goes from being call it a protector, for want of a better term, to the realization you can't save them all, no matter how you try.

Xoic likes this.
  9. Xoic

Sounds nicely grim. So, with that in mind, what aspects of his behavior will change when he makes that realization? What kind of story does it become? Start thinking into that, maybe do some freewriting to develop your thoughts on it. Just start writing up a scene from the end, without stopping to think too much about it. Just let your mind live in that space for a while.

10. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I'm not a planner or an outliner at all. What I say you should try doing is flipping the script. Go with something unexpected. You are probably in a place where it's likely one or two things could happen from there. Choose the third door. Choose the unexpected answer. If you knock out the obvious choices, what's left? Go with that. This is something I always do, and I believe my stories are better for it.

11. w. bogart

Between our discussion here, and listening to save the cat writes a novel. The dark night of the soul scene came to me, with the apotheosis moment.
    Thank you very much for the help.

12. w. bogart

I took grim and gave it a jet pack.
    Background for the story. A Biological attack on the country, that produces a Zombie-like effect in those infected. They are still living and breathing, so killing them doesn't have the classic Zombie limitations.

My editor raised this point with genre killing methods and when he said burning them, I about lost it. And all I could see was uncontrollable mobile torches wandering around setting everything on fire. lol

Back on point here.
    The dark night of the soul is when the MC finds the character that has become his best friend and right hand during everything under one of the infected and bitten. The friend says,"You can't save them all." Referencing a conversation they had in Chapter two about saving some people, but not all. TH MC replies,"but we save the ones we can." and shoots his best friend. Saving him from a fate worse than death. He goes into a black funk for a bit afterwards. And his anger at another group of survivors that created the situation that got his friend killed pulled him out of that. And he had a schlock Mercenary moment when he ended that threat for good. From
    Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries.
    37. There is no ‘overkill.’ There is only ‘open fire’ and ‘I need to reload.

I am now working on the aftermath of those events. This thread has been a big help in answering the title thread.