1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Software and hardware opinions sought

Discussion in 'Writing Software and Hardware' started by Steerpike, Dec 30, 2014.

Not wholly software related, but this seems the best forum for it.

I'm going to upgrade to a new tablet and I want to use it as a writing device. I'm down to the Samsung Galaxy Pro and the iPad Air 2. Anyone have either of these, with a bluetooth keyboard, and have any thoughts about how it is writing on them?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yup. And with respect to what you may have already read in another thread, this was my initial reason for buying the iPad. Or, at least, this is what I told myself as I was shelling out redonkulous money for this thing. I use an app called Notebooks on both the iPad and my iPhone and that app syncs up with a file in Dropbox that also syncs to Scrivener. The sync file is different than a regular Scrivener file in that it's unzipped and all the .rtf files inside are visible in the folder. I got the info from the Scrivener site since Scrivener's ability to work with other, mobile platforms via this connection is one of its key selling features.

Anywho... I used it for a while and realized that not even this use was going to justify the cost of the iPad for me since I work from home and my Macs are all around me pretty much all the time. If your life paradigm is different to mine, it may have benefit for you. If you too work from a home office, not so much, methinks.

Steerpike likes this.
  3. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Thanks @Wreybies. I'm at the office a good portion of the time, but I also spend a fair amount of time traveling and working on my Chromebook from coffee shops, client's offices, hotels, or what have you. The Chromebook form factor works well (it's a small, light laptop) but I want to go with a tablet that I can use with a keyboard when I want, and just as a tablet when I want to do that.

I've not used Apple products in many years, mainly because I hate the lockdown they put on you (which is why I got rid of my iPhone). But for work and writing purposes, I'm willing to go with the iPad Air 2 if it is the best choice. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 as a phone, and I like it, but iOS may have access to some features that the Galaxy line doesn't (namely, Word, which I do need from time to time for work, although I've been able to make Google Docs work pretty well on my Chromebook).

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I'm almost certain that Notebooks is available for Android, and there are numerous other mobile apps for writing that all have this sync feature that Scrivener can tap and keep all your stuff synced, so you're not tied to Apple to make that part happen, if that's an important factor for you, knowing that you also use Scrivener. You have options in that regard.

ETA: You could use your Galaxy 4 Note right now to experiment.

Steerpike likes this.