Tags:
  1. CarpCatcher

CarpCatcher New Member

Using People from actual events. Is it legal?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by CarpCatcher, Aug 15, 2020.

I'm writing a crime novel. My main character is a detective inspector. I want him to become embroiled with villains and thought it would be cool to use actual villains from history - in this case, 'Mad' Frankie Fraser and Jack 'The Hat' McVitie.

I'm wondering about the use of these real people. I want to create a fictionalized story not based on real events, but suited to my own plot.

By referencing real people from the past (who are now dead) are there any legal ramifications in creating a fictionalized account of their lives? Albeit, total fiction?

2. Lazaares

Lazaares Contributor Contributor

(Michael Franzese - former capo of the Colombo family - talking about mafia movies and reaches the part where /he/ is featured).

Video aside; there's always the safe road to take with the good old disclaimer. I am pretty sure all of those mafia movies have the disclaimer.

3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Depending on how recent, their descendants or estates may have something to say about it.

McVitie's been dead for over half a century. You're probably ok. Given that Fraser only died 6 years ago, I'd be wary. You wouldn't want the boys to turn up and break your legs.

Best thing to do is research your subjects, and contact their estates to ask for permission. Fraser appeared in a number of TV shows. He may have had an agent - probably called something like Joe "The Knife" Muggerty.

Dogberry's Watch likes this.