Tags:
  1. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Concept art for novels (your opinion)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Sapphire, Feb 13, 2008.

Do you believe that concept art can help you with your writing or will it just be a piece of artwork lying around for you to look at? What are your thoughts on concept art for novels that do not require such?

Expressing my opinion in this, I think that having concept art can help a writer because if they are just playing it from their head, I think it would be a little bit more helpful to them in this case to have someone draw it realistically and see where you can go from there. Perhaps you can picture that exact drawing in a scene somewhere in the depths of your mind, and it can be a lot better than just trying to play off of the mental image that you've always had of that character.

Or perhaps, looking at pictures of actors or just random people and thinking to yourself 'hmm that may be a good *insert character name here*'

No flaming or such, this is just for fun and to see everyone's opinions on it.

2. MarcG

MarcG New Member

That's very situational. If you are basing a story around the contents of a picture or drawing, sure. If you have a story entirely independant and are searching for something to add in the way of themes or originality, sure. Personally, I get next to nothing from a picture - my mental image is always that much stronger.

3. Milady

Milady Active Member

Hmm... well, this may depend on what you consider as concept art.

Maps and such are godsends to fantasy authors, and even a vague character portrait may be good for getting thoughts out on paper.

Just random doodles, though, will obviously distract from the actual writing.

I think it depends on the writer. If it helps get all your ducks in a row, then wonderful! If it gets in the way, get rid of it.

4. Iulia

Iulia New Member

I always draw maps. (and I am a fantasy writer so it's like Milady said) Sometimes I draw my characters. I find it helps describe them. I can just whip out a drawing "Oh, well he looks like this". Plus drawing is nice. :)

5. Raven

Raven Banned

When I write I come from the pictures of scenario's I develop in my head.
    I listen to a lot of celtic music when I write also I find it helps me much more and puts me in a much better frame of mind.

6. MarcG

MarcG New Member

I can certainly see the use of a map for a fantasy author, though again that's highly situational since you could simply refrain from giving too exact 'coordinates', so to speak, so as to leave it vague enough for some freedom. :p

Same with the portraits - if someone is far from typical, a picture can give a better idea of just the differences between a normal human and that character, leading to a simplified process of description.

7. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Amen, sir. :]

And about everyone's opinions, you've all got good points, that it all depends on the author. I really think that it benefits science fiction and fantasy authors more though. I really don't see someone drawing an erotica scene.

8. Klee

Klee New Member

Sometimes I draw my characters so I can get a fell of them and it also to remind me of their personality and traits. If a character is deceiving I'll draw him with a cunning smile, or if another character is younger than the rest I'll draw him around the age I think he'd be. It help me to get more in tune with them.

9. lordofhats

lordofhats New Member

I draw my characters often, mostly just for fun. I don't really need it. I suppose I can see how it coul dhelp but I've never found it necessary.

10. ecanusia16

ecanusia16 New Member

Well, sometimes, it'd be great looking at a character design and see an entirely different persona come out. I draw my characters just to see how they look visually (as if they're people sharing a table with me in a restaurant; e.g. how they'll attack the soup). Their posture, for one, or their taste in clothes.

11. deadinbed

deadinbed New Member

I think that although using a picture of a character can be helpful for really getting a sense of that character, some people could forget to add vital details about thier appearance in their actual writing because they have a full image in front of them.

If that makes sense?

12. Navy

Navy New Member

Concept art often helps me with drawing. It's very fun to get a nice clear picture of your character. It makes things easier, a LOT easier. It's also fun to show your character in different scenes, to show their personality, and traits.

13. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

On occasion I've used "concept art" to help spur on an idea for a new story. It's seemed to have worked well for me.