1. MatrixGravity

MatrixGravity Member

Does this make me a writer?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by MatrixGravity, Jul 26, 2012.

This is quite an odd question, but here it is. I am not a writer in the general sense. I don't write books, stories, poetry, or any type of writing material. I just like to write in general. I have an insatiable desire for learning new words, enhancing my vocabulary, and becoming a better speaker. I feel like the more words I have at my disposal, the more stronger I grow and develop, and it will allow me to become a better critical thinker and will allow me to assess situations more clearly.. I know this sounds like gibberish, but that's the best way I can explain it. I just enjoy the process of learning. I enjoy being able to learn and grow knowledgeable and it feels very rewarding.. So would I be considered a writer in any sense?

2. inkyliddlefingers

inkyliddlefingers New Member

It is a very subjective topic, this one, but to my mind, no. I would not consider you a writer. I would consider you someone who just loves to learn, who is open to new ideas, thoughts, expressions, theories, and so on. And, as a consequence records what he has learned.

But writing is a craft that has to be honed, like carpentry or painting. It takes years of practice and dedication, to become a proficient writer. My favourite contemporary author, Jasper Fforde, wrote for ten years and had something like 70+ rejections before he finally became published. He considers it his apprenticeship.

Hope this helps clarify things for you
    ILF

3. Steph4136

Steph4136 New Member

I agree. I'd consider you more of a scholar with a love of learning. To be a writer you have to, well, write. Not on a daily basis (thought most of us try to if life lets us), but at least on a regular basis, in my opinion. Even when I'm not actively writing my head is still bouncing around ideas and I'll jot them down in my little brainstorming notebook.

4. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

You said:
    Haven't you answered your own question? :rolleyes: To be called a writer, you kinda have to, well, write.

I've been writing ever since I could remember, and only in the past year have I called myself a writer, because it is when I started my novel in earnest. It's a title, like any other, and you have to earn it.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

ditto that!

you could consider yourself a 'scholar' if you study a range of subjects... if all you're interested in and study seriously is vocabulary, then you're a lexicologist...

6. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

I think no, because you don't write stories and you rather learn new words, which is fine but to be a writer, you will have to write stories or poetry. In that case, no at the moment.

7. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

But there's also nonfiction and journalism ;)

8. A.L.Mitchell

A.L.Mitchell Active Member

Yes, you're right there.

9. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

File me under the "if you write, you're a writer" heading.

10. Trilby

Trilby Contributor Contributor

A writer writes - you're a writer.

11. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Contributor Contributor

I think it depends on what the OP means when he says "I just like to write in general." He apparently doesn't write fiction or poetry; not sure if he writes nonfiction, articles, op-ed pieces, blogs, or things of that nature. Writing letters or emailing or commenting on forums? Not sure that would "qualify" as a writer.

12. mammamaia

if one writes for publication [paid or not] and for total strangers to read what they write [not just for one's own pleasure], then one is a 'writer'... under that general category there are, among others:

hobby writers
    beginning writers
    as-yet-unpublished writers
    seasoned writers
    and
    professional writers

13. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

What about writing personal journals for your own personal pleasure? No one will read it, it's just a place for you to store your own thoughts and ideas?

14. mammamaia

i guess that could come under 'hobby writers'... or whatever term you want to use...