1. dalehileman

dalehileman New Member

Hopelessness revisited

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by dalehileman, Feb 11, 2012.

A quick query seems to confirm my dreary observation that owing to the proliferation given the boost through digital means and the Internet, it’s become fantastically difficult to peddle your works

https://www.writingforums.org/showthread.php?t=48847

As the author of a book, The World, as told to the yong man in short words explaining life and the Universe in 77,000 words of one syllable each, after long past having given up on the conventional means I’m wondering if anyone has come up with an easier way

For instance I understand there are several organizations that accept and pay for unpublished works showing any promise at all, with the hope they can more easily find a market than the typical striving scribe such as I. However I also understand they don’t pay very well

To peddle my tome I’ve offered any of my family and friends half the proceeds but with no takers, even though they mostly agreed my effort was intriguing if not earth-shaking

Any input of any kind whatever is herewith solicited

Thanks all

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

There are also many scammers. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

There's no substitute for having an established, reputable publisher accept your book. It may seem daunting, but it really takes work to develop your writing to professional quality.

3. dalehileman

dalehileman New Member

Indeed but I might even consider an offer I didn’t think was very good

Or even ask to read it

Been working on it 70 years but evidently not there yet

4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

most who want to be writers never get there... which is why writing is an 'art' form, not a mere physical attribute like walking and talking... sad fact o' life...

5. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Have you asked them for a critique? As in, are there segments that made them confused, re-read a paragraph, or made them feel bored? Do they like your characters? Do they care about them, can they relate?
    Because such comments might help you re-write the book in a way to be more attractive to publishers.

6. dalehileman

dalehileman New Member

No in fact they volunteered. I weas taken aback and flattered when one, a high Digital Aerospace Mucketymuck, actually expressed heartfelt approval

Oh doubtless. The younger of the crew expressed no such reservations but then they’re my sons

Well mine was non fiction, didn’t have characters. Being youthful however they might have responded to my views about sex and fatherhood

Your input Jazz is much appreciated

Your minigraph suggests not only attractive but thoughtful