1. Macarrin

Macarrin New Member

Not sure where to go

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by Macarrin, Jan 31, 2021.

Hey all. I recently finished my first three books, a trilogy, which I wrote in first person. First felt natural as it was about the journey of the MC as his life was turned upside down. I'm not making any claims to it being any good, in fact it rambles a bit in some places, but that's okay as the story was inside me for over twelve years before I finally started setting it down. The two people who have read it said it was good, but you don't tell a friend they wrote garbage right? Ha.

The problem now is that while the first three books are over and done with, there's still more of that story I want to tell. My issue is that the now it feels like the best way to move forward is to use third person. Is this a no-no or does it really matter? It's technically a continuation of the first three books, but in many ways it's a new story entirely with (mostly) new characters. Not sure if I should find some way to use first again, or stick with my plan.

Another problem is that I haven't written anything in third since English class, which was more years ago than I like to remember. Every time I sit down and try to start the new story nothing happens as I waffle over how to write it. I'm actually thinking of putting it all on the back burner for a while, but part of me wants to get cracking.

2. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

My suggestion is for you to outline vaguely first. Don't be formal about it, just take some notes of what you want to do with the story. From there, you decide if you want to go or take a break.

As for switching perspective, I don't see why not. Especially if the first trilogy is finished.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Mark Burton

Mark Burton Fried Egghead Contributor

You've likely got alpha and beta readers. Give them two short identical excerpts from the new WIP, one in first person and the other in 3rd person, and ask them which they prefer. It's basic split testing. See where that leads you.

4. Macarrin

Macarrin New Member

I'll keep this in mind, thanks.

5. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I can't think of any reason why you can't switch, it's been done before. And if it doesn't work, you can just switch back.

6. Thomas Larmore

Thomas Larmore Senior Member

I saw a science fiction author, one of the most famous but I forget which, write a story from first person POV, then half-way switched to third-person POV.

So really, you can do whatever you want.