1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Covering scenes that show condensed information

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by peachalulu, Nov 19, 2012.

I've been working on my novel - read some stuff on how to create a good scene -
    Have a Goal, Conflict, Disaster, Reaction, Dilemma and Decision. But didn't find any real good tips
    on showing condensed information. I.e. time passing, a changing relationship,
    adapting to a new job. Should I keep the same format for this condensed scene
    or let it be more free-form?

First drafts on my former novels have been very free form - some of the
    descriptions and thoughts were great but mostly it seemed rather
    haphazard.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

My idea? Go back to free form instead of the formula approach. As long as your scene has purpose and movement, don't let structure get in the way of writing.

What seemed haphazard about your prior efforts? I'd be more inclined to examine that than to surrender to formulas.

Time passing takes place between scenes. So do other changes, except where the scene depicts an action that precipitates the change. Most of the state information you are describing is what I would prefer to show, through dialogue or other character reaction approaches than through telling, but that's really a case by case judgment call.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Yes, the formula thing isn't working - I'm picking a loose goal for what I want the scene to
    convey but it is only a first draft so maybe I shouldn't be aiming for perfection.
    Haphazard can actually develope a lot great ideas that don't come from planning.
    Thanks