1. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Has This Been Done Before

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Leaka, Apr 23, 2008.

Okay so i wanted to create a story about two brothers who inheriet a house from their uncle.
    The uncle gives them weird rules such as:
    They can only be outside of the house for 2 hours
    They cannot have friends come over for more then an 1 hour
    The only acception is outside in the pool water because the water is a special water

What the two brothers don't know is the house is controlled by spirits. The sprits have created the rules. Their uncle wanted to get out of the house because he didn't couldn't take it anymore.
    The brothers are finally going go through all the pain their uncle went to until they sell the house.
    the house cannot be destroyed, the rules cannot be broken, and the house must get another owner.

2. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

Go for it. If you write something well enough, it won't really matter if something like it has been done in the past. That doesn't sound like anything I've ever read, but then again, I don't read too much writing like that anyway.

3. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Okay.
    I will.
    Now I have to think of a setting.
    Btw, this idea and plot came to me in a dream.

4. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

It vaguely reminds me of a couple books, but nothing really strong. Go ahead and write it. It sounds like a good idea.

5. (Mark)

(Mark) New Member

I think that a small town would work best for that sort of thing. In my mind, the place would have to be heavily forested.

6. MarcG

MarcG New Member

What is their source of income? If the Uncle could not leave for more than 2 hours at a time, how did he pay for food, taxes, etc.?

7. UnknowingWriter

UnknowingWriter New Member

Rich family?

8. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

They could run a buisness that the uncle started out of the house. Make it a shady buisness that is influenced by the spirits.

9. InPieces

InPieces New Member

Maybe the uncle won the lottery, so he bought this multi-million, secluded home, but it turned out to be the haunted house instead.

10. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

I say go for it, Leaka. I'll definetely review it if you post it. However, if I forget, just pm me, okay?

Thanks a bunch,

Tash

11. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

Perhaps the uncle can leave the house only if someone takes his place inside. His basis for survival is luring people to his house in his place.

The only problem is that if he's gone for more than two hours, the person in his place dies.

Only problem is there's a huge plot hole there. You'd have to find a reason for the uncle to keep returning to the house after the death of the person in his place.

But maybe it's something to work with.

12. nburwell

nburwell New Member

It keeps reminding me of Rose Red by Stephen King (the movie) and The Innocents (the 1961 movie). It isn't the same, but it has the same aura. It also sounds like the combination of a few other books, but in its entirety, it is unique. At the moment it seems like it has some plot holes, but it sounds like you are at the very beginning of development so that's okay.

From what you've said, the two young men coming from a large or popular city or town and then the 'haunted' house being in the secluded country, where no one can help them, would be your best bet. Most likely, the uncle would have gotten the house from an inheritance, just like the boys have from him. Whoever originally paid for it could be the spirits that haunt it now, though that has been done before and you may want to come up with something new like the original owners chose the house because they needed a quiet place from their successful business and they ended up being haunted by the spirits. If you write it well, however, the original owners being the spirits could work very well if you give a unique reason why they are the spirits.

Some more questions you might want to ask:

-When will it be set?
    -Are there any other characters than those you have mentioned?
    -How long has the haunting gone back and why is it haunted? (it's important for the author to know that even if the readers don't)
    -How many people have experienced this haunting? Is it just the uncle and his nephews or have there been more? Is there a legend of it that the nephews just haven't heard?

Ask yourself questions that you think your readers would want to know about your story. Let each question and the answer to it build upon each other. This really helps to develop that story. Don't be upset if, while you develop the story, your original base changes a bit. Often, expansion makes a story that is too tight or too little in detail much more comfortable to read and believable, even if it changes the base a bit.

What you have sounds great. As said before, go for it :)

~Natalie

13. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

They get their food from a delivery service.
    The uncle would be groceries for months at a time buying foods that wouldn't perish easily.
    Now if someone wanted to go out and the other person can stay in the house and take their place giving them at least 4hrs to be outside the house.

The only other characters then the two brothers would be one of the brothers friends and she is getting a bit frustrated about them never being out.
    The house is in a spot of time. Where time is frozen and spirits are allowed in. Its like a heaven for bad spirits.

The only people who have had the house are the one in their family. Because he keeps on getting passed down from generationt to generation.

I thought it would be interesting to make it a modern story. The house is old with vines around. Its massive and has collected styles from the Italian Reinassance days and the Greek and Roman days.
    The house is far older and doesn't fit the perfect picture of the quiet, white surburban homes.
    But no one thinks anything ill of the house.

I thought it would be far more interesting if they were in surburban setting, and yet no can help them. It be interesting to make them seem crazy to everyone else.

14. Mr Sci Fi

Mr Sci Fi New Member

It seems like an interesting idea, and you can play around with the rules and such to make for interesting storytelling.

I say just get the story out there first. Get a draft written. Then worry about the little details on the next revision.

15. Sugar N. Spice

Sugar N. Spice New Member

Sounds interesting! Can't wait to read it!

16. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

I am not sure if it has been done before, Leaka, but this sounds like an excellent idea actually. It sounds sort of, Shakepearey, like somethig he would do. Like one of the brothers could fall in love with this woman across the road, who he can only see for an hour a day sort of thing. I like it. Good luck with it and I would love to read it.

17. Amor

Amor New Member

Your idea sounds very interesting. I like it :) It's nothing like I've ever read. I say go for it.

18. Leaka

Leaka Creative Mettle

Well I've posted the test draft in the novel section.
    I hope it turns out well.

19. Kratos

Kratos New Member

No, I haven't really read anything like that before. The only thing that sounds familiar is the "evil thing that the character must get rid of by passing it to someone else" motif.