1. krobe74037

krobe74037 Member

I cant believe i didn't do this first!

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by krobe74037, Dec 15, 2015.

This morning i happened to google "Jasper city" it seems to be a small town in the forests of Alabama. It is also the main City in my story that i thought was a original name. My "Jasper City" is based on Seattle to a point. is this bad or should i change my Cities name?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

I don't think it matters much. If your city is a fictional city, unless you pull a real humdinger of a strange name out of the air, it's likely there's some town or city somewhere that already has that name. Just as an example, though Omaha, Nebraska is likely the most known of the Omahas (Through Mutual of Omaha and the popular Wild Kingdom show they sponsored), it is by no means the only one...

Omaha, Alabama in Randolph county
    Omaha, Arkansas in Boone county
    Omaha, Georgia in Stewart county
    Omaha, Illinois in Gallatin county
    Omaha, Kentucky in Knox county
    Omaha, Missouri in Putnam county
    Omaha, Nebraska in Douglas county
    Omaha, Texas in Morris county
    Omaha, Virginia in Dickenson county

Simpson17866 and krobe74037 like this.
  3. krobe74037

krobe74037 Member

Okay, I was worried for a moment. The name of the city is not crucial to my plot by any means. I've just grown rather fond of the name. So not a big deal?! WOAH!

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yep. No big deal. Also, there are plenty of Jaspers in the U.S. There's one in each of the following states: AL, AR, FL, GA, IN, MI, MN, MO, NY, TN, TX

5. krobe74037

krobe74037 Member

Alright good. So my Jasper is in good company.

6. xanadu

xanadu Contributor Contributor

I don't know that there are any original city names. Unless you're just throwing random letters together. I mean, there's a Philadelphia in Missouri.

In my two novels that exist in the same universe, I use fictional towns in suburban Philadelphia that like to poke fun at the naming conventions around here. I often joke that any suburban Philadelphia town has to have a Brook, Haven, or Chester in it. We even have a Brookhaven and a Chesterbrook.

My fictional towns? Foxhaven and East Willowbrook. I'd put money on the fact that they exist somewhere. No worries.

krobe74037 likes this.
  7. krobe74037

krobe74037 Member

my second town is completely original i have yet to find it any where. "Howletsburg" its a city across the bay of "Jasper City"

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Taking a couple of towns near where I live, Wednesfield (the field of Woden) and Hednesford (Heddin's Ford in 13th C.), combining them you get Hednesfield...

krobe74037 likes this.
  9. krobe74037

krobe74037 Member

Ha. Yeah my wife worked for a guy with the last name of Howel so I just took that and made a "twin city" to Jasper city called Howeletsburg.