1. Norfolk nChance

Norfolk nChance Banned

AI self-aware Issues...

Discussion in 'Research' started by Norfolk nChance, Nov 30, 2018.

AI self-aware Issues...

I wanted to start this new post to not detract from the original OP.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/how-possible-is-a-brain-transplant.160156/

@disasterspark

Started this great thread about Brain transplants. My response was to highlight they’d not be needed if the Google and Russian initiatives worked by 2045. However, I’ve hit a conundrum when re-reading the other posts...

Yes. I'm thinking of putting my male MC in a girl's body. Which may or may not give his(her) male best friend a weird boner. Which then may or may not lead to confusing but hot sex.

@disasterspark made this comment above. I nearly wet myself laughing...

In a body or brain transplant, I’d expect human drives and desires to rise even if they confuse the new whole unit...!

If we achieve the ability to upload our brain to the cloud, web, or host machine what happens to the desires and drives pre-built at our sub-conscious animal level? The neurons and pathways are all mapped.

Like cutting the nuts of a dog, his drive for the postman goes. He lays by the fire and dies a few years early because he’s not bothered. Having a brain upload with consciousness is still nothing without drive...

The T800 maybe nothing to fear indeed. He’ll just sit down by the fire with no cares or desires like his metal lug nuts are gone. Unless someone mentions John Conner...

Norfolk

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Hammer and matwoolf like this.
  2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

...or a big payday for a sequel.

V. interesting @Norfolk nChance

I think you've answered your own question. Dog nut removal (x 2) takes with it a mutt's drive to hump and bite, leaving one to conclude it's the inherent nut-juice that influences the beast. Scale this sideways up to us human beings with our (questionably) more complex behaviour and it's safe to assume we're steered too by all sorts of biochemistry. Each of us the emergent property not just of our 'wiring' (half-nurtured anyway) but of all the messenger chemicals that dance about our cells and through our veins asserting various agendas. Even the inhabitants of our guts now, they say, have a bearing on our moods/actions.

I'm tempted to put off for many a year this transcendence/singularity thing that's being banged on about. Too complicated. Like fusion power always being thirty years away—I reckon this'll hold true too for the advent of a receptacle that'd contain and effectively operate a person.

That said, when it does finally arrive. It won't stay still—it'll be goodbye you and me, squashed to stepping stones our inferior selves will be, as the new gods forge their paths.

Hammer, Norfolk nChance and matwoolf like this.
  3. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

It would necessarily to be part of a story-line. The mad doctors gathered down the laboratory:

'Gentlemen and lady, I have loaded our patient a triple testostopack with the highest rut instinct available to modern science.'

Dr Dorothy grimaced and she shook her head. Van Sturgon continued in his presentation here at the bedside.

'Voila, Dicktech's latest creation - gibbon penis grafted to elephant testes. My own personal design.'

The scientists clapped.

'Magnificent!'

'Heh heh heh.'

'Ha ha.'

sorry, I'll get over this, work to do, mm

4. SethLoki

Hah ^ I wants me one of those—away from the fire to be cruising Manchester of a cold evening. Ahh for the days I've never seen. I'd leave the gibbon/elephant thingy in the box mind.

Hammer likes this.
  5. matwoolf

I'm confused on the issue. I was listening to that Sylvia Plath diary on the radio. I never realised both of Ted Hugh's wives killed themselves. The other one that got under the skin is the photo of Kingsley Amis snoring on the beach in Greece. His wife's all pissed off coz he's a wanderer [for want of a...]. The photograph is of his back. In lipstick '1 English Pig. I fuck anything.'

The old guy at work says he prefers ham, egg & chips.

6. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

"Upload complete. It appears your memories contain 278TB of Copyrighted materials. If you wish to keep this data, please upgrade to a Platinum Level Subscription now."

Rzero, Hammer, Cave Troll and 2 others like this.
  7. Norfolk nChance

Norfolk nChance Banned

How many Sci-Fi stories and even the warnings left by Stephen Hawking (legend) have you heard like Battlestar Galactic where are own machines turn on us? Terminator, Alien, Asimov Robots though not really...

Hawking’s fears may stem more from kids with phones and our over reliance on machines to survive as a species. Just like the Mountain Gorilla or Panda they totally need man now in order for them to survive. We Human’s total need Instagram in order to survive as a species...

We’ve lost the desire somewhere...

With BSG it was God made man in his image, man made a toaster as slave labor in his metal image. The toaster rebelled... why? Then left to evolve into the sex God called number6 in a carbon copy of man. The Toaster believes in the one true God who created man. Toaster still wants to eradicate man though? WHY where is its desire?

Giving the choice Gibbon/elephant with a triple testostopack, I’d still fuck the toaster...

Norfolk nChance

Hammer, matwoolf and Cave Troll like this.
  8. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Same reason the first humans killed each other: Get rid of the competition. :p

Hammer, matwoolf and Norfolk nChance like this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I presume certain aspects of this can already be explored in the trans community?

matwoolf likes this.
  10. Hammer

A friend of mine says she married her husband because, when she asked him whether he fancied super sex, he said he'd have the soup...

11. SethLoki

:eek:

Devotion's overrated. If only they could've had it de-installed.

@Norfolk nChance there's a sea of theories about motivation (desire). I delved many a moon ago and have forgotten most of them; the arousal one, I recall, mind being the more memorable. My way of understanding, was to boil it down and there I witnessed how it parallels with how everything in this universe tends towards equilibrium. Yeah, all tensions want assuaging. I reckon the bollockless dog was cold, not arsed about his bitches—and so driven to the fireside. If we don't wipe ourselves out then whatever we become post-humanity will likely have a new set of needs that drive our actions.

12. matwoolf

:eek:eth waited at the bus stop. It had been a long and difficult day for :eek:eth.

'Hello,' said :pammer.

:eek:eth blushed and fiddled with his mobile telephone.

'Suit yourself,' said :pammer.

All of a sudden :cool:atthew arrived at the bus stop. 'Hiya cheeky,' he said to :pammer.

And they all lived :cool::p happily ever after. Even :oops:ob, married to :eek:eth for thirty years, who dutifully cooked his sausages, awaiting that bus.

13. Hammer

I realise that this may be contentious, and believe me if I wrote a novel about this I would want dozens of sensitivity readers, but it must be a thing; it must have been studied, documented, experienced. There are people out there who can tell you what it is like to be born physically one gender and mentally another.

SethLoki and matwoolf like this.
  14. Azuresun

Azuresun Senior Member

Except the singularity will always come about just before the speaker would be due to die of old age. It's pretty much the Geek Rapture (with an unhealthy dose of misanthropy and revenge fantasy often sprinkled in).

Norfolk nChance and SethLoki like this.
  15. SethLoki

You know, that's probably a thing too nowadays Doctor Zeuss?. Anyway, show me your sausage, I've some dutiful cooking to do. :p < @matwoolf

This thread's engendering/informing me of some good turns of phrase. I've a sense of impending irony...gonna dream tonight a big reveal: yourself, the Mattster, Hammer, Dapper, Cave and OP... you're all AI's playing me, a Turin Test 6... 7 way. And I've been fooled by all of you! :D Damn, wish I was more self-aware.

Norfolk nChance and matwoolf like this.
  16. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

I've never understood the desire, unless it's simply to preserve knowledge or to carry on a life's work. It wouldn't actually achieve immortality. The human still dies. What lives on is a backup, a copy, a brand new and completely separate consciousness with the memories of a dead person. Dennis E. Taylor addressed this pretty thoroughly in "We Are Legion [We Are Bob]", and I couldn't have agreed more. Though I wouldn't mind a robot companion who thinks like me while I'm still alive. That could be fun. Hold on, I think I have a short story I need to write.

Norfolk nChance and matwoolf like this.
  17. Norfolk nChance

Norfolk nChance Banned

@Rzero

Have a look at the links I posted in the Brain Transplant post (link in this OP). From my understanding of the work and computing power needed they (2045 Initiative) are going to attempt to map conciseness its self. Farfetched…?

Imagine the Intel chip in your PC. The Integrated Circuit consisting of silicon pathways and gates reaching nearly the atomic level. Typical chip area of 600mm2 will have up to 25 million transistors per mm2. In 2016 Nvidia produced 15,300,000,000 transistors in 610mm2. At these scales measuring the electricity flow is getting to the scale of electron flow through the brain’s neurons…

Begs the questions what is consciousness? If its just an electric construct using the body’s neural pathways it looks awfully similar to the GeForce GTX1080. We’ve still away to go but Moore’s Law shows its within our reach…

I really like Peter F Hamilton and uses this concept a lot in his Commonwealth Saga. Worth peek if interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pandoras-Star-Commonwealth-Peter-Hamilton/dp/1447279662/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1543596485&sr=8-7&keywords=peter+f+hamilton

I’ll look forward to reading that short story in due course

Norfolk.

18. Rzero

Rzero Reluctant voice of his generation Contributor

I get the concept. It's fascinating stuff, but it's often represented in fiction (and in reality by these two projects in particular) as a way to prolong life indefinitely. My point is that it wouldn't. What would end up on the cloud or in a replicant would be a new copy. One's consciousness wouldn't be transferred; it would be duplicated, and when the original dies, they don't experience this digital immortality.

ETA: I don't have an Intel chip. I have an AMD and always will. :bigcool:

Norfolk nChance likes this.
  19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Sure, but it still wouldn't be me. It would be a copy of me. If I'm one of a pair of twins and I die and my twin lives, I'm still dead.

Norfolk nChance likes this.