1. DonnyCraft(JS)

DonnyCraft(JS) Member

Need plot ideas coming from a writing prompt

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by DonnyCraft(JS), Mar 14, 2015.

" Hell has been unleashed on earth and you are the key to stopping the horrible consequences. What do you do to reverse the problem and what was the reason that this hell descended upon the planet?"
    This writing prompt has given me some ideas, but I cannot seem to connect them. Here is a list of what I have so far:
    • The story I have in mind is less related to the main character being the key and more about survival
    • The story will not be in second person
    • The story will relate to Judgement Day in a non-idiotic manner
    • The story will not be christian relative- I want it to be seen as a story that says "there is a greater power" but the reader is not told what that power is.
    These are just some quick ideas. Does anyone else see anything I can add? I'm a young writer, but I'm fresh into turning 17- don't tone anything down for me. All ideas and views are accepted, even negative.

-Dante

Boger likes this.
  2. LOliver

LOliver New Member

End of the world stories are fun! I'm working on a similar thing at the moment. I prefer to focus less on the physical survival of the character (we are already top of the food chain, highly advanced and capable. There isn't much do without initiative and know-how) and more on the mental perserverance of the character as the world changes. Looking at the tags (I hope I'm doing this right, new to the forum) I see Hell and Demon. My kind of read, and write. So your character is some kind of anti-force? Is he predestined to go through this? Or is it cast upon him (I'm assuming a male character as thats what I use, sorry). I find the challange with this kind of idea is keeping the character real. As your world ends I am guessing that it will twist, distorting the rules of reality. Preventing your charcter(s) from being swept up in it can be hard. How this is all going to happen is not something I can't tell. The interesting things to see are the situations your characters can get into and how they deal with it. As long as you remember to let them do it. You may have an idea of how everything will happen but the characters may surprise you if you just let them 'do their thing'. Stay loose with it - the end of the world is chaos!

3. DonnyCraft(JS)

DonnyCraft(JS) Member

Ah! This is exactly the kind of advice I needed. Thanks, LOliver!

4. Boger

Boger Senior Member

Zombies

5. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Here's an idea for a plot on the basis of that prompt: Hell is rampant consumerism and you must stop it by blowing up a shopping mall, but you must do it before the cops close in.

Swiveltaffy likes this.
  6. DonnyCraft(JS)

DonnyCraft(JS) Member

Im confused lol

7. Chinspinner

Well, the POV character is rather unhinged and has a warped view that rampant consumerism is the devil's doing, and he must combat it.

8. DonnyCraft(JS)

DonnyCraft(JS) Member

Ah...still not getting it.

9. Chinspinner

I'm not sure how else to explain it.

10. DonnyCraft(JS)

DonnyCraft(JS) Member

Oh I see now...thanks for the idea!!!!

11. Chinspinner

I take it your brain works rather more literally than metaphorically.

12. Boger

Boger Senior Member

In the meantime my ideas for new zombie stories were plenty. Since there's so many of the genre already - I feel like every one should be made into a story or movie. Weird kind of compulsion.

13. Chinspinner

Throw in some vampires and werewolves and no-one will be able to resist, and a Z-list superhero, they seem to be all the rage at the moment.

14. Boger

Boger Senior Member

Zorro riding a werewolf into Narnia of the Dead. Those creatures have my sympathy but I'm not planning to let their universes collide - those kind of stories are an abundant nuisance.

15. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

Robots have taken over the planet and no one has to do anything anymore but watch TV if they want. Our hero doesn't see the point in life anymore and starts turning off all the robots to see what would happen. Our antagonist, some person who wants to keep things the way they are, tries to stop the hero and the hero assembles a team who believes in the same goals as he does and it becomes a race between turning off all the robots or keeping things the way they are. Who will win?

16. DonnyCraft(JS)

DonnyCraft(JS) Member

You guys are extremely satirical lol

17. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Actually sounds a little like the story I'm writing at the moment - the hell on earth and MC being the key to reversing the consequences, not zombies in Narnia that glitter and try to blow up shopping malls hahaha

Although I did once come up with the idea that I should write a vampire bondage erotica under a psuedonym and make bucketloads of cash from it.

18. Boger

Boger Senior Member

you either stand on principal grounds I don't understand or don't know how to pull it off, because here you are not getting rich

Jack Asher likes this.
  19. Mckk

What? What on earth are "principal grounds"? Or I "don't know how to pull it off"? How should you know if I know how to pull off a vampire bondage erotica or not?

And seriously... you took me seriously!?

20. Chinspinner

Can we stop talking about "pulling it off" in relation to erotica? It is hard to take these posts seriously.

21. Mckk

hahahahahaha :rofl:

22. theoriginalmonsterman

theoriginalmonsterman Pickle Contributor

Hell has took control over Heaven and Earth is there next destination, and Hell has already began to deploy demons (or whatever) to take over. Some Angels managed to escape from the Heaven but are hidden within human souls while they wait for help. You happen to be one of the few chosen people who gets an Angel inside you but unlike other people your Angel accidently reveals itself to you. After explaining the situation you decide to help the Angel (considering it's all or nothing at this point), and embark on an epic journey to find the remaining Angels and using their combined powers to save the world! It's a rough idea, but I think it's cool. :3

23. Boger

Boger Senior Member

I know what's not getting me hard the popularization of horror, first romance, now erotica, next reality soap?

I meant 'morality'. Is what I feel people abandon if they create popular fiction to make monay instead of making something that happens to become popular as a result all of those monstrosities of sell out artists are being mistaken for something admirable - catch my drift - but I guess that's where the wind blows

I use these catchphrases English without knowing where they originate possibly backalleys in poor urban society as if it's my first language.

24. Chinspinner

I don't get the sell-out argument.

I mean by this attitude surely I am selling out now by working a job to pay my rent? Perhaps I should expect people to pay me to do what I enjoy instead out of some entitled sense of self-importance? Maybe I'll go on the dole and use other people's hard-earned taxes to paint pictures that no-one understands because they're too complex.

I'd happily sell out.

You know Iain Banks always said that he had to write his mainstream novels to fund his sci-fi novels; good on him I say. He "sold out" and it allowed him to do what he loved.

25. Boger

Boger Senior Member

It looks like you understand what I mean. I know at some point you're not going to live under a bridge if you can;t make people fund your standards of living and have to work on your ideals

you're being cynical I say - a form of realism

An example is the video game industry many creative souls spend time and energy there to make a living off fictional worlds but it's an entertainment industry like theme parks or (ideally) prostitution. They make a living off it but could never do the brainstorming work if they weren't artists at some level.

A song I remember of a 1800/1900 cabaretier sung about his time in Hell; how he got there and every other artist that ever lived ended up there all singing and drinking and laughing until eternity and performing for the devil - in the end he wakes up and realizes his time on earth is finite so he makes the best of it and keeps singing

A way of selling your soul, or performance and showing people who you are and feel on the inside?

I'm not saying 'selling out' is doing the workd of the Devil; but I am saying series like iZombie are painful to accept exist.

This all without taking offense to the working people in the world; I love society. Otherwise I might be just another oblivious unabomber on the list of useless one man missions. Or perhaps a witty politician who managed to force his morals onto society after he removed the power of those in his eyes threatening his authority; who'd be remembered as a dictator but would not want to be recognized as such. I'm a pessimist. The natural filters of what surfaces throughout popular culture isn't clear water. The key element is criticism; otherwise it'd all be crap but each and every 'system' works differently.

I'm not a huge fan of the conveyor crap on TV I just hardly can take the quality especially those with all the added qualities to meet qualities real quality has. There is a difference there and some creators and writers and directors pretend to know how to cross that gap but they fail to do so in my eyes they are all sell outs the laziest form of creativity.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015