1. AuthoressM

AuthoressM New Member

ISBN and when?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by AuthoressM, Jan 4, 2009.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but since it connects to publishing, I chose here.

Okay, so here are my questions. Let's say you are self-publishing and want to buy an ISBN for your work. When is the proper time to do so - after you have received the copyright for the work or before? (copyright then ISBN or ISBN then copyright).

And my other question is if any of you know if this site is legitimate:

http://shop.1asecure.com/prod.cfm?Stid=5087&ProdID=233515

Thanks so much for all your help!

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

are you in the us?... if so, why go to a subsidiary agency instead of the official one?

http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/index.asp

3. AuthoressM

AuthoressM New Member

I'll definitely look into the link you gave me. Thanks! .:-D.

I only wanted to know about the above one because a friend who was self-publishing got her ISBN and barcode from there.

So...still, does anyone know if that website it legitimate AND what is the proper order - ISBN then copyright or copyright then ISBN? Anybody?

4. mammamaia

that site i linked for you will answer all your questions... why don't you just go there?

5. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

For copyright information, go here:

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html

mammamaia gave you the link to the ISBN website...between these two resources, all your questions are answered...these are the sources and every aspiring writer should become familiar with them, especially if considering self-publishing.

6. AuthoressM

AuthoressM New Member

*laughs* I found out whether my site was legitimate or not - thanks. At first, I couldn't find it on the site mammamaia gave me, but then I did. I don't see where on that site, though, it says when you should get your ISBN. I'll keep looking...

And thanks for the copyright info, but I'm pretty knowledgable about that .:-D.

7. mammamaia

if you can't find the answer you want on either of those sites, that's where you should be asking the question, not here, as both of them have a 'contact for info' option... all it takes is an email... and they will usually get back to you within 24 hours...