1. Foxe

Foxe Active Member

Script advice

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Foxe, Nov 21, 2011.

Hello all
    Before I delve into my question, I'd like to mention that I've been keen on writing for a long time now, and I've been thinking a lot about writing and I swear tomorrow I will - a tomorrow, anyway.

Onto my topic, I've got half a thought of writing a comical "one act play" for a festival they host at the University of Toronto for its students.
    I'd like to partake, but I'd like some advice as to how to set up a script.

The story I'm thinking would be about a young man, probably student, who has never been particularly popular. He's a litle goofy, witty and he wants to change his life around. He a lot of energy and eager to meet women and be in social situations, but is held back by severe anxiety.
    So the protagonist would be facing women in romantic or social situations all the while fighting, repressing, giving into, or hiding his panic attacks. An idea I had would be to have half the stage his therapy session explaining everything that happened "the night before" to his therapist. The other half would be the scene itself.

It should be about 10-15 minutes I think (maybe more), and I would probably also be the director.

I guess any general advice as to length, number of characters, details to add on the page, how to write a script (hah), and anything else you knowlegdeable people can come up with!

Thanks in advance, and if I should clarify anything in particular, I don't mind at all!

-Foxe

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

there's not much you can do with that premise in only 10-15 minutes...

the number of characters will depend on how many 'encounters' you can fit into your time frame... all you'll need are the two main ones [guy + shrink], plus a female character for each encounter...

as for format, i can help you with that, as well as all the rest, and send you some samples...

love and hugs, maia
    maia3maia@hotmail.com

3. power44

power44 New Member

I agree with Mammamamia. How much do you want to fit into a specific time frame.