Tags:
  1. aaron1178

aaron1178 New Member

plot help

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by aaron1178, Mar 24, 2010.

Hi, i am new lol an could use some help, i have a game idea and want to write the plot/setting, the character development and the storyboard but i need help with the plot, ok so the story goes like this, the character starts off with a narration, about how it began, when the game is set in action, the player plays the start/induction to the games ui(user interface) after the player has done scenes 1-5 a little movie clip will set in action and when the clip has ended, your character will be sitting on a seat in a space craft, i need help with writting, like eg. A war happens, how do i write that down, thanks

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

Without telling us anything about the plot of your story, you're not gonna get much specific help. As for "help with writting", that's literally this entire site (and countless other sites, books, resources...)...you're going to have to be much more articulate if you want anything useful at all.

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

This belongs to the "you're kidding, right?" group of threads.

4. aaron1178

aaron1178 New Member

Ok, so my plot for scene 1 to 5 is basically an intro into the ui(user interface), as well as telling the story the character is telling, ok so the plot thing the character is telling is, 7 years ago, my team and i where in cambodia, for a spec-opps mission to track down a major drug lord, who has a 2 billion dollar shipment of drugs coming in that day, so they track the drug lord down and they set up into position and right when they where about to attack, they where betrayed by a member of their team. So scene 2-5 the player has to make his way through the level and at the end of scene 5, he has the option to kill that member(because i want the player to have his own destiny not a set one lol). So how would i write that down on paper

5. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

That's where you come in.

6. aaron1178

aaron1178 New Member

thats y i need help. Coz i dont know how

7. arron89

arron89 Banned

The first thing you need to do is write out a detailed summary of the entire story, including details of the main characters, locations, conflicts, timeframes, etc. Once you have that, since it seems like you are talking about a level based game, you need to divide your story into levels, not scenes, then structure each level around the story so that the events you want occur as the player progresses. At this point, writing in prose form is probably the best option; just write, in sentences, paragraphs, exactly what happens when, why, where, to who and how.

8. aaron1178

aaron1178 New Member

ok, i get that. Lol

9. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Before this gets off on the wrong foot, this is a writing site. Please leave the netspeak at the door.

You should realize that writing for a video game is very different from writing a traditional piece of fiction. With fiction, there is a predetermined order of events tat the author has full control over. If you try to constrain a game timeline that tightly, your game will be boring due to lack of choices. Also, today's games are very visual, so you tell much of the story through pictures. Although this makes it more like writing a screenplay, screen writers leave a great deal of the story to the director. The screenwriter focuses on the dialogue and the bare bones of the scene's setting. Dialogue is not as important a component in game writing, because it is used primarily for exposition, not character development, and because the nonlinear nature of game storyline progression raises hell with dialogue development.

In fiction, coming up with the storyline is a very small part of the task. Most of your work goes into character development, balancing description against action, scene-setting through language, and helping the reader paint his or her own view of the scene.

What might help you is to understand the difference between storyline and plot. Storyline tells te reader what happened and in what order. Plot tells the reader why it happened. This may help: What is Plot Creation and Development?.