1. Celia.

Celia. New Member

quotes or lyrics before chapters

Discussion in 'Research' started by Celia., Dec 2, 2010.

Do any of you put quotes or lyrics before chapters? What about before the actual story begins? Do you think it's tacky or a good entrance to a chapter or book?

2. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I have a feeling there's already a thread about this, I may be wrong, but anyway.
    I don't, or at least haven't yet. I think putting quotes or lyrics is a nice touch if they add something to the story as in giving an extra message. I'll admit that sometimes I do skip reading them but other times I just love that they've been included. Personally, it's subjective to the story.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

It can work if it fits the theme you're going for and is obviously relevant to what you're writing about.

Keep in mind you have to get permission if you're using lyrics from a real band that's still around.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I love it in historical novels when something from the time is included.

I am weighing up whether with Socrates Children - I will use Socrates quotes for chapter headings or if it is naff currently undecided lol

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

doing that shouldn't be an always thing, imo... best to be used sparely and only if really necessary...

and using lyrics has nothing to do with any 'band that's still around'... permission must be granted by the copyright owner of the lyric... which would not be a 'band' but the songwriter/lyricist who wrote it...

same time limits apply as for quotes from prose/poetry... study up on the rules 'n regs at the source:

www.copyright.gov

that's for the us, but applies pretty much the same to all signatories to the bern convention...