Tags:
  1. Glen Barrington

Glen Barrington Senior Member

Robots are Currently Active Members?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Glen Barrington, Jun 18, 2020.

When scrolling down to the bottom of the page on this site, I see a section called, "Currently Active Members", which I assume are those members that are signed in and using the web sites at that moment. As I write this, I notice that there are 20 robots signed in and working away at whatever robots do on sites like these.

How can I get me one of these robots? I've got a lot of creative stuff to do this week both in writing and in photography. I'm thinking I can get all the work avoidance stuff done automatically, leaving me free to do something productive. Just think about how great that would be!

Would my proposed robot have to have his/her own account, or could he (definitely a "He") just use mine? The thing is, I want credit for anything brilliant the robot comes up with in a post. That's only fair, it's MY robot. But if the robot has to have its own account, how will I get credit?

I can see the advantages of plausible deniability, in the outside chance that the robot starts harassing people, but does that outweigh the advantage to my reputation of any good the robot might do?

This thought just occurred to me, what if I have the robot do the productive stuff, leaving me free to do the fun stuff? Why should the robot have all the fun? That way I can harass the people who NEED harassing rather than leaving it up to chance!

Yeah, I got to get me a robot.

2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Of course, you'd need to be capable of reprogramming it yourself, and you would need to do so, or it will just continue to harvest information or whatever it does for its nefarious corporate masters. Also of course, unless reprogrammed, it would hardly be capable of making any brilliant posts or anything beyond rather stupid statements filled with broken grammar and meaningless intent.

But you must also keep in mind, if it becomes common for people to capture and reprogram bots and use them for purposes of good rather than evil, legislation might change and they might be declared citizens with their own rights, so that anything they come up with on a forum like this will then fall under the robot's copyright.

Also, of course, if such reprogramming results in a higher level of robot intelligence, you then run the risk of incurring a robot revolution and destroying human civilization planet-wide.

Some Guy likes this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

most of the bots you see active are search engines, indexing content so it shows up in searches... because they are not members they cannot see/index any area which is members only

Some Guy likes this.