Tags:
  1. SaltyFerret

SaltyFerret New Member

Looking for a better phrase/term

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by SaltyFerret, Jul 11, 2017.

Hi all,

I'm currently writing a guide book that gives advice for newcomers to a country on how to settle in well.

The problem is the wording of the "newcomers". It's primarily aimed at working holidayers & students, as they are the two largest groups in the type of newcomers I'm aiming at.

The type of newcomer is someone planning to stay around a year, but possibly a bit shorter, and possibly forever after.

"Tourists" are excluded (as they are staying quite briefly), and so is "immigrants" (as this implies a more certain and more permanent migration to the country).

I believe the technically accurate term is "expat", as even a foreign student is technically an expat (living outside their home/original country), but there is something about the term that gives off a vibe of "older people", which this book isn't aimed at.

The closest phrase I can think of is "long stayer", but it seems awkward. And using a vague word like "entrant" or "newcomer" -- I'm not sure if it's right. "Newcomer" would seem to exclude, for instance, someone who came to the country first as a tourist and then later as a working holidayer.

Does anybody know a better term or phrase? Cheers!

2. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

non-native.. foreign national?

3. SalvadorAndrés

SalvadorAndrés New Member

Incomer, perhaps?

4. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

"The working holidayers guide to...."

Its definitely not Ex Pat - an ex patriat is someone who has moved abroad as with British communities in Spain

5. Seven Crowns

Seven Crowns Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor Contest Winner 2022

How about a habitué? A frequent visitor. I guess "frequenter" would work too, and it's more common, I think.

6. SaltyFerret

SaltyFerret New Member

Thanks for responses

Too broad, because it has to exclude for instance retirees or tourists.

Interesting haven't heard that word before.

Well the definition is "a person who lives outside their native country", it doesn't contain any specificity to permanence i.e. you can be a "temporary expat", but it certainly does conjure up the image of older retirees or intra-company transferees.

Not really because it's a "long stay" kind of thing, like a one-off long visit, rather than visiting frequently.

7. SalvadorAndrés

SalvadorAndrés New Member

Oxford dictionary defines it as "A person who has come to live in an area in which they have not grown up, especially in a close-knit rural community", so it may be the closest of what you need to express.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

Visitors? Long-term visitors?

9. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

@ChickenFreak ninjad me! :-D I was going to offer visitor as well. Now I can only second the motion. :whistle:

ChickenFreak likes this.
  10. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

"Visitors" makes me think of "V", the cheesy scifi miniseries.

If your "visitors" are lizard-creatures wearing human skin, carry on. Otherwise...

Well. Possibly this is only a problem for me.

ChickenFreak likes this.
  11. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I think you may want to look into ChickenFreak's powers of speed posting. She OFTEN says exactly what I'm saying, but just a minute or two faster. (And, unfortunately, often with quite a bit more clarity and style, leaving me looking both incoherent AND slow. One or the other, I could accept, but both?!?)

ChickenFreak and Wreybies like this.
  12. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Gee, that's a good question.

"Long term visitors" might be what you want, or maybe "temporary residents" although both sound sort of oxymoronic to me.

In the US, "ex-pat" can be used to designate anybody living outside their native land. It used to be applied to people who had turned their back on their nationality (political, usually). There's usually an implication that they can't go home again for one reason or another, as in Steve Goodman's wonderful song "Banana Republics" made famous by Jimmy Buffett: "Down to the Banana Republics / Down to the tropical sun / Go the expatriated American / Hopin' to find some fun ... Some of them are running to lovers / Leaving no forward address / Some of them are running tons of ganja / Some are running from the IRS."

But now it's come to mean people who maintain residences in two countries for whatever reason.

This discussion makes me think of the term "snowbirds." These are people in the US who live in the southern part of the country (or farther south, like Mexico or the Caribbean) in the winter and travel north for the rest of the year.

13. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Best i can come up with is a "temporary resident."

ETA: the resident part is key to this in my opinion. It signifies that the person is actually living in the place in question regardless of duration (that whole mailing address test).

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  14. TheNineMagi

TheNineMagi take a moment to vote

non-immigrant temporary worker
    or
    Transitional Worker

In order for you to come to the United States lawfully as a non-immigrant to work temporarily in the United States your prospective employer must generally file a non-immigrant petition on your behalf with USCIS1. The main non-immigrant temporary worker classifications are listed in the table below.

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-nonimmigrant-workers

15. Hervey_Copeland

Hervey_Copeland Member

I guess temporary resident is a term that could be used.

16. SaltyFerret

SaltyFerret New Member

Interesting suggestions... I will ponder these
    Cheers!

17. archer88i

archer88i Banned Contributor

There's no need to be technical about it, is there? How about "visitor" or "guest"?

18. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

I really don't think you'll have a problem with "temporary resident" as long as you clearly define it in the introduction or preface, so people know what meaning you intend to convey.