1. Tyler Danann

Tyler Danann Active Member

Novel Book or Volume?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Tyler Danann, May 6, 2014.

Just wondering if having my books numbering as 'volume' I'm making it too non-fiction sounding?

Currently I've got the title-page and book nearly ready to go to Create Space except for whether to use

Book 1

or

Volume 1

The genre is Fiction - Sci Fi Fantasy (Post Apocalyptic) and I hope to have 12 of these babies written in the next few years...

2. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Book 1 sounds better, in my opinion.

Tyler Danann likes this.
  3. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Well, is it one book broken down in volumes, or two-three-four books that share the same title? :) There is a substantial difference, no matter what sounds better - for example, my first copy of The Two Towers was broken down in two volumes, but they were both part of the same release of the Lord of the Rings, so the full title (as printed) was "Lord of the Rings, Book II: The Two Towers, Volume I" ...which is kinda tedious when you think about it, but makes perfect sense for the reader...

TDFuhringer likes this.
  4. Tyler Danann

It is one book of a series of about 12 more or so.

The series is Chronicles of Terra's Edge and the title of each book obviously changes each time.

5. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

Yeah, then "Volume" makes no sense.. maybe if you one day re-publish all 12 in an omnibus variant, then you could have something like "Terra's Edge Omnibus, Volume IV: Book 7 and Book 8" :D

Tyler Danann likes this.
  6. Tyler Danann

Yep, will definitely go with book then.

Thanks Burl! :)

7. TDFuhringer

TDFuhringer Contributor Contributor

I agree with @Burlbird . Book is the better choice. Volume, whether it is accurate or not, adds an unnecessary layer of obfuscation between the story and your potential audience. They see "Book 2", they know there's a "Book 1" without having to Google anything. They see "Volume III", they have to do extra work before they can even read your story. And (although I find this insane) some people are intimidated by very long stories, and having each book seem like a separate entity makes it easier for them to digest. Just my opinion.