1. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

'not passionate enough about it'

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by afinemess, Jul 18, 2010.

I haven't been around in a while, I've been waiting for my queries to come back and writing. I got one response from an agent who requested a partial from me. She wrote a lengthy email, all of it with praise. Here's a portion:

"You have a great imagination - I love the premise - and you're a good writer, but I'm sad to say that I just wasn't passionate enough about this to ask to see more. I wish I could offer constructive suggestions, but I thought the dialogue was fine, the characters well-crafted, and the plot well-conceived. I think it's the kind of thing that really is subjective - why some people adore the book on the top of the NYTimes bestseller list, and others don't."

What do I take from this? Should I assume my work is kinda boring? I've gotten this same response "I'm just not passionate enough about it" from a lot of agents. Anyway, that's what going on with me, and I wanted to see what you guys thought.

2. Donal

Donal New Member

Are you asking the right type of publications. Whats your genre? Are you a fantasy writer who has approached publishers who don't normally publish fantasy for example.

3. marina

marina Contributor Contributor

First off, congratulations on getting back such a response. I'd be thrilled to get such a letter. The way I read it, she sees no problems with the technical aspects of your story but just wasn't interested enough in the story itself to request to see more. Notice how she points out the subjectiveness of one person being passionate about a story compared to another. I'd keep the querying going with the hope of finding an agent who will be interested & curious enough in your story to request more. Don't give up.

4. Pinky

Pinky New Member

I think she is just saying, its personal taste. I would take what she says as a compliment and to send it to other agents. From everything i have read, at the end of the day, an agent has to feel passionate about what they take on and if she doesnt and all aspects of the work is good then maybe someone else will. Dont give up.

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

pinky's probably nailed it, imo...

but if you continue to get similar rejections, you should take a good look at the story, to see if it's perhaps not passion-generating enough...

6. w176

w176 Contributor Contributor

I would take it as "Good, but neither with a enough of a personal spin and angle to the genre to make it feel fresh and not with the bit of extra quality to put one above the mainstream of the genre."

If it were me I would try to take some stylistic elements that think is the hallmark of your storytelling and turn them up a notch. No matter if it your case means even sweeter, more brutal, more humour, more intriguing or more ducks.

7. izanobu

izanobu New Member

Publishing is subjective. One person's taste doesn't mean that much (unless you feel you should alter your book, in which case, it's your book, do as you like).

8. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Could it be an issue of your story having a political/religious/etc slant that the publisher or agent might not agree with or might find too controversial? Maybe even in an underlying or subconscious way? If so, maybe you could sent your manuscript to someone who is more likely to share your views. Just an idea. :)

Good luck!! And like someone else said, I'd be glad to get that kind of response...even if it's a polite no-thank you, the compliments still mean you're doing stuff right.

9. eratos

eratos New Member

That is a great rejection. It's not a form letter and you obviously made enough of an impression to get the agent to commit to a detailed response. Keep on looking you'll find the one who has the passion.

10. afinemess

afinemess Active Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I just got my first request for the full manuscript, so fingers crossed that this agent is 'passionate' about it. haha