1. vintage_fairy

vintage_fairy Member

How can I describe this dress?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by vintage_fairy, Sep 13, 2021.

[​IMG]
    So...I found this very beautiful dress on Google and I think it looked perfect for my character, Safiya when she becomes a princess at the end of the story. However, I'm terrible when it comes to describing clothing in general, and I asked my friend for advice, and she had said "draw what you see," to which I'm still trying to comprehend, and describing clothing for characters isn't my cup of tea.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  2. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

fit-and-flare silhouette (i get trumpet and mermaid dresses confused, but they are both fit-and-flares) with a thigh high slit. beading on top of a sheer underlay gives the the illusion of being dipped in shimmering rhinestones that creep organically up the arms stomach and chest.

When I get stuck on descriptions of clothing I go to department store websites and read the clothing descriptions to get ideas. Davids Bridal and other bridal boutiques would be you best bet for finding descriptions of this dress.

[​IMG]

montecarlo likes this.
  3. montecarlo

montecarlo Contributor Contributor

When I see the pattern on the choker/upper dress, the words snowflake, fractal, and floral come to mind.

Edit: it doesn't actually look floral, just the word came to mind.

4. Aled James Taylor

Aled James Taylor Contributor Contributor

The delicately patterned golden fabric clung to her upper body like the work of a meticulous tattoo artist, and fell to the floor like the petals of a flower.

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

A lot of this is a matter of style, but it also depends on the scene. Do you want to simply describe the dress or also describe her actions like walking, the reaction of those around her?

I'd probably go over the top in purple prose style (this doesn't 100% match that dress, of course, just one way to 'see' it):

No longer wearing tattered garments, she entered the hall in the most elegant gown to ever grace the palace. A pattern of intricate yellow beads covered her bosom, forming a honeycomb of sparkling amber which nourished a silken skirt below. As she walked, the delicate fabric clinged to her body, falling to the floor and splashing like a cascade of gold.