1. Madea

Madea New Member

New Storyline

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Madea, Feb 9, 2014.

I now have this new plot to introduce after I decided I didn't like my last one. So here it is :

It's in the future, how far, I'm not quite sure. But Earth is pretty much deserted after a (meteor? something like that) hit. Other planets have become inhabitable and most people are living on Mars, however, other planets have life, too.

On Mars, there's a bar run by a prostitute, Faye, and an alien, Grant, which is also a place for Bounty Hunters to meet/get jobs. One of the characters, Engineer, discovers that he was artificially created by a scientist. Along with his three friends, he sets out in search of the man who created him. The only problem is, the man has pretty much disappeared from the Solar System, only leaving behind a list of names.

I was also thinking about putting in a side story about two gunslingers trying to find hidden treasure that these bandits stole from the bar, but I haven't thought of that very much.

2. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Not trying to discourage you, but be aware that the "artificial being" looking for its creator is a really well used and common story. Frankenstein was basically that. What you need is an interesting reason why he was created (not super soldier, please) and why he should want to find his creator. You need a good reason for the list of names too. Have you thought about what happens when he finds his creator (if he ever does)?

3. Madea

Madea New Member

Eh, the only reason I thought about why he was made in the first place was to make more of his kind. The creator of the guy made him so he could create more of the artificial beings. But that's all I've really thought about.

4. Bryan Romer

Bryan Romer Contributor Contributor

Just put yourself in the MC's place. If you were a super android, what would make you dump your job and home etc. and rush off somewhere to find your maker? If it would make you do it, then your MC would likely do it too.

Oh, and presumably the friends know he's an android too. Does that bother them? Would it bother your friends to find out you are a machine of unknown purpose?

5. Madea

Madea New Member

I suppose that I would probably want to know why. But that sounds pretty cliche. I'll have to think up something really good for that.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

So what is wrong with that? It's a classic metaphor for Man's search for God, or whatever gives life meaning.

Essentially all stories have been done before, and the best ones have been done a lot. Don't even try for originality at that level of composition. Originality does not lie in the broad stokes. Originality is to be found in the details and nuances.

7. SuperVenom

SuperVenom Senior Member

Just wondering. Why is he looking for the man who created him? I ask in two ways- 1. What is his emotional reason and what fulfilment will it bring and 2. What is the plot reasoning behind it? What payoff will it yeild, is that the conclusion or the turning point of the story? but sounds good. Just becareful with the bar and prostitute on mars.... dont want to go down the total recall route.