1. Abigail

Abigail Member

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Abigail, Jun 21, 2013.

Has anyone read this book before? I went to 2nd and Charles and I asked one of the employees for book suggestions. He asked me what I liked, and I said one of my favorite books was The Night Circus. He then reccommended this book. I started reading it, it seens weird but I like it so far. Has anyone else read this? If so, thoights?

2. digitig

digitig Contributor Contributor

Orpington, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    "Weird" is right, but I enjoyed it.

3. Njal

Njal New Member

Without doubt one of my favourites (living in the York, UK at the time I read it was definitely a bonus as the story begins there). It is an entertaining blend of period politicing, a compelling alternate history and dangerous magic. Persevere, for it is lengthy but rewarding. It's is subtle, unnerving and believable.

4. Kasubi

Kasubi Member

My first thought: Morgenstern's The Night Circus is an awesome book :agreed:

Was caught in a little village in Scotland without anything to read. Ran into the nearest charity shop, grabbed the most interesting cover (and what a beautiful cover it was!). Happened to be Night Circus.

I have read Strange & Norrell. As the title suggests, it is rather strange. In a good way. Very atmospheric. I enjoyed it, but found it a little long, perhaps. I am one of these people who is put off by heavy tombs. That's why I like Kindles - every book weighs the same ;)

Apparently it's been adapted for TV in 2014, UK.

5. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I felt like the structure of Strange and Norrell was a bit off, at least for my taste. I loved the premise and really enjoyed the first chunk of the book while I was learning about the world, but then everything kind of wandered off in weird directions, and I felt like the main characters didn't really have much agency in the resolution of the plot.