1. Ferb

Ferb New Member

Time for Writing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ferb, Aug 13, 2009.

I always complain about not having any time to write, but when I do have the whole day to do nothing but write, I feel like I shouldn't waste it just writing.

What is wrong with me?

2. luckyprophet

luckyprophet New Member

Tough question ... You should read the Roman philosophers. Try Annaeus Seneca, Tullius Cicero ... And their letters too. Along with Plinius' (usually called Pliny, in English).

3. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

hahaha....Due to my job, I haven't had the chance to write in over two months. Well, I had some time, but I didn't want to waste my time off inside. The other day I just felt so "full" of stress stuff and I thought the only way to rid myself of it was to write it. When I started, I couldn't stop. I was almost two and half hours in before I realized how much I had spent at my laptop. Hmmm.....I have felt so much better.

4. Nathan Edwards

Nathan Edwards New Member

The two things we think we never have enough of - time and space - are, in fact, infinite.

I can't remember who it was that coined this phrase, but it's very true. Time for writing, or anything for that matter, is there. We just need to find it. I'm able to get at least a little bit of writing in five days a week, to some degree or other. Sometimes it's a few pages, other times just a paragraph. But I try and treat my writing like exercise, or work, or a doctor's appointment. It's just something I'm expected to do anyways, so I'd best do it to the best of my ability.

5. Speedy

Speedy Contributor Contributor

Discipline. Simple as that.

I knew what it was like to waste spare time. It was depressing.

Now i get up at 6am on the day, spend 3 hours drinking ocffee, talking to the misses and reading the paper. Than when it hits 9:30 on the dot, i turn everything off (But music) and type until i do what i have to do.

Iyt took me about a year to do it, but we all eventually find our ways of doing things to the best (If we REALLY want to do it).

6. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    I feel like i'm really wasting myself if I haven't written in two days. I seriously feel ashamed. So if I have a day where I really don't feel in the mood to write, then I still always go over some of my latest pieces and do some more editing - tidy up the weeds before you plant more flowers, right?

But if it's something that you genuinely enjoy doing , then in my eyes you will always have time to do it. WHenver you catch half an hour between a busy shedule, you'd be writing.

If you have loads of time on your hands (like me!) then it's easy to get lazy, but you need to discipline yourself into starting - once you get started, it's all stars.

Ultimately writing should never feel like a chore - of course it can seem hard, or time-consuming, and it is -but nothing worth doing comes easy. Remember that next time you look at your novel, or poem, or short story. It's all worth it in the end, for your own self-accomplishment at the very least.

7. tcol4417

tcol4417 Member

Hahaha, I like it.

It does depend on your writing style. I've just started again after a three year slump, and even now I only write when the mood takes me.

Between 2 and 4am usually.

8. Ashleigh

Ashleigh Contributor Contributor

In the comfort of my stubborn little mind.
    ^ So true. I write in the early hours of the morning, and right through til 5am alot of the time.

Stupid if you have work the next day, and I also waste half the day sleeping...but hey, atleast I was productive!

9. Eddyz Aquila

Eddyz Aquila New Member

When I have free days like in the vacation, I prefer to stay at home all day and write, read, watch TV, whatever gets me in the mood. I usually write to about 2-3 hours per day but my favourite time is either between 2 and 5 pm or 1 to 4 am.

Dunno why, dont ask me. :D

10. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Ferb, I'm completely with you there. When there's time for it, I end up wasting time with some other pet project. It's a bizarre condition.