1. Sheriff Woody

Sheriff Woody Active Member

Any sci-fi stories that use 3D printing?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Sheriff Woody, Aug 16, 2013.

Just curious to know if any sci-fi novels have implemented 3D printing into their stories. I think it could revolutionize the genre in profound ways, as it surely will our everyday lives.

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I saw it used recently in one of those TV formula detective shows. A guy in the property room used a confiscated printer to print an untraceable gun that gets used in the same FBI (or was it CIA?) building.

3. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

Cory Doctorow's book "Makers" is about the 3D printing revolution. It's a pretty good read as well, and - as with all his books - it's free to download from his website in multiple formats. It's well worth a look if you're interested in the technology.

4. Sheriff Woody

Thanks!

5. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

It's kind of creepy that some 4 years ago when T and I started writing our sci-fi novel, we put 3D printing tech into the story cos there was an article about its possibilities in a science mag. It's mostly used for spare parts, and even though it could be used to illegally manufacture guns, there's no gun control in our story's world per se, which makes that aspect pretty moot. When I read the article, it wasn't exactly science fiction back then, and it definitely isn't anymore considering how it's developed. Of course now we look like we jumped on the band wagon with it, but oh well, bet we weren't the first ones.

6. IronPalm

IronPalm Banned

How so?

7. erebh

erebh Banned Contributor

I think it would be too easy if all a character had to do was click print and a super-duper sub-machine gun appeared on his printer tray.

8. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

In Futurama it could make all kinds of things; trains, robots, guitars... just like that!

9. Sheriff Woody

Well, the technology would obviously have to be limited, as it is in reality. The time it takes to create an object, the intricacies of moving parts, access to a printer, obtaining the schematic, ammunition, fragility, etc. There are literally thousands of potential setbacks and roadblocks that come with creating a "super-duper sub-machine gun" or anything so powerful.

10. GHarrison

GHarrison Member

The ability for anyone to 3d print anything under the sun is inevitable. Even living tissue (bioprinting). It will become faster, more intuitive and inexpensive. And, I think it will become "too easy", eventually destroying certain industries in favor of others. One of the most influential technologies of the near future.

11. Lone Wanderer

Lone Wanderer Member

I can't think of any, which is surprising considering the fact that Science fiction writers tend to lose their shit when they get wind of technology that could change our world so much, such as 3Dprinting

12. GHarrison

GHarrison Member

Gene Roddenberry called it a replicator in Star trek.

Sheriff Woody likes this.
  13. Krishan

Krishan Active Member

I remember similar sentiments being voiced as mobile phones became popular. New technology always changes things, and while it might make some storytelling devices redundant (rarely now do characters in a novel have to struggle to find a phone with which to call the police), it also opens up a lot of new possibilities.