1. TGJohnson

TGJohnson New Member

Finding Beta Readers?

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by TGJohnson, Aug 10, 2016.

Hey guys, just looking for some beta readers for a short story I've finished and edited. What is the best way to go about finding them on this site? Is there a certain sub-forum, and do I need to include information such as genre, length, etc?

If this site isn't appropriate to solicit beta readers, is there another place I should go?

Thanks!

jannert likes this.
  2. loonypapa

loonypapa Member

I lined up Frostbite to do beta reading for me. $50 or so a chapter, but it comes with a little editing help along with it, not just a beta read. It's cheaper if it's just a beta read. And I'm sure there are people out there that would do it for free. I just like having a go-to resource that provides a firm schedule commitment.

3. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I'm a wursa reader.

And if anyone gets that, shame on you.

Sal Boxford and Spencer1990 like this.
  4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

You'll attract betas if you give us more of an idea of what you've written. Just 'a short story' isn't quite enough to get people interested, but if you can give us an idea of what your story is about, and some idea of your style of writing (or genre, if that's appropriate), I'm sure people will volunteer.

It also helps if you're willing to swap, and do the same level of work for somebody else.

Tenderiser likes this.
  5. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

The 'Collaboration' sub-forum is where you ask for betas. @jannert is right that you'll get more bites if you describe the story and give an indication of the level of feedback you're after.

Personally I would never pay for a beta read. Somebody did try and pay me for one once, but I sent the money back!

doggiedude likes this.
  6. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Sure .. The money was for the "beta reading."