1. architectus

architectus Banned

What books are like Dune?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by architectus, Sep 2, 2008.

I am trying to find books similar to Dune. I liked the well built different world. I really enjoy the religious aspects, and the special powers.

In this same way Star Wars is cool because of the use of the force.

Lensman series was recommended to me by a friend. Also the Foundation series by Asimov. But I am not sure of any of those have special powers in them.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The Lensmen are extraordinary individuals, augmented by the Lens.

The Foundation series deals mostly with ordinary humans; only one mutant is important in the series. Mostly it deals with historical forces being set up and used to drive the formation of a new civilization.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Stars In My Pocket Like Grains Of Sand by Samuel R. Delany is one I would recomend for overall heft and depiction. Not at all in the style of Herbert, but a first rate read on its own.

You might also try other books by Herbert. The Lazerus Effect and The Jesus Incident come to mind.

4. architectus

architectus Banned

Are there any special abilities in stars in my pocket?

cog thanks. If you don't mind what sort of special abilities do people have in the lensman series? I read reviews and such but none of them explain this aspect of the series.

5. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

There are like a billion Dune books, if your referring to just the original novel and not the whole series.